BI Droping Frames during Record

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to determine if BI is going to fit for my uses. One of the things that I want (I have with my current NVR) is 30FPS and no dropped frames during recording. I've got Blue Iris setup as a Virtual Machine on a server (AMD 8370E, given 4 CPU's and 8GB of RAM) and CPU usage is sitting around 75% with 4 1080P cameras going.

The issue that I'm having is that anytime BI records, it skips around quite a bit. It will only play 2-3 seconds of video and then jump around badly like it's skipping quite a few frames. It's extremely irritating. I have the direct to disk option enabled, it's storing it to a local hard disk (non SSD, 7200RPM) and then moving it to a NAS after the clip is cut.

I'm trying to determine how to fix it because I'm currently in the BI demo phase and haven't purchased it yet. If I can fix this issue then I'll purchase it and call it a day. Would possibly moving the VM to an SSD make a difference? I don't have an extra SSD lying around but could go get one easily, i just wasn't sure if it would make a difference.

Thanks!

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your problem is most likely that you are running the CPU too hard. If you are sitting at 75% usage when no motion is detected, when motion event fires it will zip up to 100% and then there is nothing left in the CPU to do the work that is being asked of it by BI. I would guess that this is also related to you being on the demo version of BI which doesn't implement the direct-to-disc in its entirety.

Can you give your VM any more CPU to test?

Reaction score
ruppmeister,

Thanks for the suggestion. I powered off all other VM's on the host and upped the CPU's to 8 (Max for the 8370E) and unfortunately are still getting the same issue. CPU Usage is now sitting around 30% utilization.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@frostbite2600, what cameras are you using? Make sure the iframe interval matches the frame rate. In blue iris increase the receive buffer to 20mb. What bitrate are you using?
Your issue is not related to the drive unless there is a physical problem with it. Try recording to another drive. If you are playing back from nas, try recording local only and see if that helps.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman says the buffer should be set to 20mb. See if that fixes the problem. Also, what is the CPU at when a triggered event goes off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like it was my processor after all, even though the usage was sitting around 40% utilization during normal use and 75% during recording, with it being the only VM powered on. I upgraded to an i7 4790K and imported the VM and now it's working perfectly, all cameras are running at 30FPS constant with no choppiness.

Thanks again!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
"I'm currently in the BI demo phase and haven't purchased it yet."

also note that 'Direct to Disk' doesn't work in 'demo' mode, so once you've got a license, the cpu usage will drop and you'll have more headroom...

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like it was my processor after all, even though the usage was sitting around 40% utilization during normal use and 75% during recording, with it being the only VM powered on. I upgraded to an i7 4790K and imported the VM and now it's working perfectly, all cameras are running at 30FPS constant with no choppiness.

Thanks again!
Interesting. Based on benchmarks, that isn't such an underpowered CPU, so I am surprised it failed to perform. I guess it goes to show how much better Intel is at making high end CPUs in recent years.