BI config questions

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's been a minute since I set up a BI server. I've searched here on ipcamtalk, but still have the following questions:

Question 1: Turn off the Disk Defragmenter recommendation from here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage Is the correct location within the server where I do that? And I assuming I just unclick the "Run on a schedule"

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 12.17.29.png

Question 2: Our server has two hard drives for two different locations (Building A and Building B). I can not figure out how to have the cameras in Building A save to Building A hard drive and cameras in Building B save to Building B hard drive. We would to store our clips as long as possible, so we are going to record on motion only.

Current storage setting in BI and please let me know if you see anything else that may look off here:
Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 12.20.49.png

I appreciate your time and help, and please let me know if you have any questions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question 1 - yes that is where you turn it off. If you do it, it could take weeks to perform due to the constant writing and could slow BI down.

Question 2 - DO NOT RENAME THE FIRST THREE FOLDERS - Keep them as New, Stored, Alerts.

The AUX folders can be renamed and that is where you can split them.

Rename AUX1 as Building1 and AUX2 as Building 2 and then point them to their respective drives.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question 1 - yes that is where you turn it off. If you do it, it could take weeks to perform due to the constant writing and could slow BI down.

Question 2 - DO NOT RENAME THE FIRST THREE FOLDERS - Keep them as New, Stored, Alerts.

The AUX folders can be renamed and that is where you can split them.

Rename AUX1 as Building1 and AUX2 as Building 2 and then point them to their respective drives.

Thank you for your reply. For the Disk Defragmenter, I unchecked the "run as a schedule" box and this is what it shows now. I'm really not sure, but it looks like it turned it off for the SSD too - is this okay? Please note we just changed the name of our hard drives.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.01.00.png

I'm sorry, but I do not know how to rename AUX1 and AUX2 as you mentioned to have the cameras save to the correct drive. Is this where you do that?

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.12.53.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks correct for the Defrag.

It is a weird steps of double clicking on the word/box area of AUX1 to be able to change it. Ben awhile but I think you double click in the white areas and it turns grey and then you can change it.

Or just put building 1 on AUX1 and building 2 on AUX2

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That looks correct for the Defrag.

It is a weird steps of double clicking on the word/box area of AUX1 to be able to change it. Ben awhile but I think you double click in the white areas and it turns grey and then you can change it.

Or just put building 1 on AUX1 and building 2 on AUX2

I believe I got it, thanks for this! Now to have the cameras save to the correct drive, is that in the cammera settings within BI?

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.28.25.png

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct - on the record tab simply point it to the folder you want. The default is New.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is correct - on the record tab simply point it to the folder you want. The default is New.

GREAT, thank you so much for your time and help on this — it very much appreciated!

If you can, I have one more question about the storage setup. Our goal is to keep our recordings as long as we can. We'll just be recording on motion. Does everything else look okay with these settings? The only thing I changed within the Mill/Retail_Warehouse, is I unchecked the "Limit Clip Age", assuming it would allow us to keep the recordings longer. I did not uncheck "Limit Clip Age" on Alerts - should I do this here too?

New:

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.39.40.png

Stored:

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.40.03.png

Alerts:

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.40.15.png

Mill:

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.40.32.png

Retail_Warehouse:

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.40.54.png

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First thing is you do not want to move any files to STORED if they are in drives within the same computer - only use that for NAS storage.

Otherwise you are using CPU% and killing the drives faster moving files from one folder to another on the same drive.

If you goal is to save as long as possible, then never use the limit clip age and instead use the DELETE option.

Make sure for each drive that you leave about 10% of the drive capacity to allow for the writing/deleting of files. Also keep in mind that we usually don't get access to an entire drive "labeled" storage, so make sure you do this math for the available space.

For example a 10TB drive may only have 9TB of available space. So make sure as you allocate folders that you leave at least 90% of 9TB available.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank y'all! So, per your recommendations, should I do the following within the screenshots I provided above?

- New Folder: uncheck "Limit Clip Age" and check "Delete," not "Move to folder"

- Stored Folder: uncheck "Limit Clip Age"

- Alerts Folder: uncheck "Limit Clip Age"

- Mill Folder: no changes needed

- Retal_Warehouse Folder: no changes needed

Also, our hard drive size:

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 14.03.00.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes.
If you are NOT using the new folder for anything at all, then set it's size to 0.
Be sure to study the BI help file.