BI and needing to setup VPN

brentkhack

n3wb
Reaction score
For my office I have a Comcast supplied router SMC SMCD3G model. That goes into the Cisco RV042G VPN router into one of the four ports. From that router it goes into the Netgear JGS524PE POE switch which IP phones and cameras are connected to. First issue is when I move the connection from the router's port to the Internet port, I lose all connection with my ip phones and cameras. My main goal is to be able to see the camera's from my phone (Android) when away from the office. So should we use VPN with the router or some other method?

noneforit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For my office I have a Comcast supplied router SMC SMCD3G model. That goes into the Cisco RV042G VPN router into one of the four ports. From that router it goes into the Netgear JGS524PE POE switch which IP phones and cameras are connected to. First issue is when I move the connection from the router's port to the Internet port, I lose all connection with my ip phones and cameras. My main goal is to be able to see the camera's from my phone (Android) when away from the office. So should we use VPN with the router or some other method?
Which connection are you moving from the routers port to the internet port?

Do you run a VPN on the Cisco router or is it simply acting as a router?

brentkhack

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running a 3CX IP phone system and they told me I needed the VPN router. So it goes out the SMC to a regular port on the Cisco VPN router. Then out the Cisco to my Netgear switch.