Best way to configure a graphics card (Quadro P400 v2)

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I learned something new the other day. In Windows 10, I can keep the BIOS set to onboard graphics which as mentioned, results in two GPU's showing up. But, if you go into the graphics settings, you can tell windows which GPU to use for which programs

I have my PLEX server set to use the P400 (GPU1) while Blue Iris is using the onboard intel graphics

T22-942.jpg

Last edited:

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To the OP @eeeeesh , how has the overall DeepStack performance been with this P400 card? Did you originally run the CPU only version (for comparison)?

I don't suppose you ran any overall power draw comparisons with a Kill-a-Watt meter, did you?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I installed the P400 for DeepStack AND for my PLEX server that runs on the same machine. Overall I am happy with the purchase. I am running DeepStack on 5 cams, and DAT times are around 165 ms at this point - they were in the 400 to 500 range before using the CPU version without the P400. Power Draw was a main concern which is one of the reasons I went with the P400. I think it is rated to draw 40 watts max and does not need a separate power cable - it gets it's power from the PCIE slot. Before the P400 this computer would be around 30 watts and with the P400 (just eyeballing the logs) it looks like the P400 on average draws about 20 watts

You can see for yourself. Attached is a log file - I had the computer plugged into a Z-wave device for a couple of days that logs how many watts were used.

Attachments

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I installed the P400 for DeepStack AND for my PLEX server that runs on the same machine. Overall I am happy with the purchase. I am running DeepStack on 5 cams, and DAT times are around 165 ms at this point - they were in the 400 to 500 range before using the CPU version without the P400. Power Draw was a main concern which is one of the reasons I went with the P400. I think it is rated to draw 40 watts max and does not need a separate power cable - it gets it's power from the PCIE slot. Before the P400 this computer would be around 30 watts and with the P400 (just eyeballing the logs) it looks like the P400 on average draws about 20 watts

You can see for yourself. Attached is a log file - I had the computer plugged into a Z-wave device for a couple of days that logs how many watts were used.
Super helpful, thanks. Just as a FYI, the P400 series cards are rated to draw a max of 30 watts (not 40), according to Nvidia. Interesting (and somewhat disappointing) that it tends to use roughly 20 watts on average, more or less continuously. I was hoping to see occasional brief spikes of 20-30 watts over a baseline amount of only a few watts. Are you running this machine headless, with all management done remotely?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
yes - headless. I use RealVNC to remote in when I need to to something

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
yes - headless. I use RealVNC to remote in when I need to to something
I should add that when I originally installed the P400 - I think I was having some driver issues or something. After switching back and forth several times between on board graphics versus PCIE graphics in the BIOS, I ended up restoring an Acronis Image and started over, just leaving the BIOS with onboard graphics so that I would have both GPUs show in Windows. That cleaned up the problem I was having with key frames, they are all showing 1.0 now