best vandal ip camera

Jon Hunt

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to add a vandal IP camera to my current system since I cant see the road. So I will have to drill my stucco and run conduit to the camera. So I will need a camera that will accept conduit. It will be about 7ft high so it will be touchable to most people. So it will be a dome. I have a budget of about 150
Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is your current system and how far away is this road you want to see? anything specific on this road that interests you? or do you want just an overview of traffic with no id.. do you have any street lighting or is it a dark country road?

let the location choose the camera, dont want the camera to choose the location.. so best is highly subjective.

Jon Hunt

n3wb
Reaction score
just an overview of the front yard. 3.6mm. All my other cameras are 1MP.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the location you want to put it right under an eave? If so, a dome should be fine. If not, I'd skip a dome and go for a solid turret. Domes hate getting water on the dome. Screws up both the IR and the optics. Turning the IR off (my preference with all cameras except PTZs) helps but still isn't good when there's precipitation. A good solid turret like a Hik DS-2CD2342WD-I would be preferable over a Hik 3345-I, but personally unless it's in a high traffic public area I'd go with two of the cheaper turrets and use the other one to protect the first one AND expand your coverage in other areas. On most homes, if someone is going to screw with your cameras you're vulnerable. A prybar or a dollar store can of spraypaint will defeat any camera, as will any mask. I like turrets over bullets in exposed areas because they're more accident proof in locations with kids, plus they're better than bullets for attracting spiders (no tempting area for a web in front of the lens with the sunshade) and better than domes for weather, particularly if you use the builtin IR. Domes work fine indoors and under eaves but suck in inclement weather when exposed to precip. I might choose a Dahua 4431C-AS over the Hik 3345-I as well. Nothing wrong with the 2342WD-I either except the price. It is a sturdier choice and a bit better camera than the cheaper plastic ones.

Jon Hunt

n3wb
Reaction score
yes it is under an eave. I just want a cleaner install. I dont really want to drill a big hole in my stucco to feed it into the garage. I figure the best way would be a dome with a knockout.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there are no domes with knockouts.. you install it on an electrical junction box that has the breakouts.. dont really matter dome or turret in that regard.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
All of my domes have "knockouts" or threaded removable pipe plugs with o-ring seals. I have no low end domes though except for a dollar store Aliexpress indoor eyeball "dome" (more like a turret though). That has a dongly pigtail connector and no knockout.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Hikvision 4526FWD-IZ and Axis P3364VE. Plus my older analog CNB domes have them as well. I bet some of the midrange aluminum-bodied Hik domes have them as well but I don't have any and haven't checked. The Hik site will reveal that in the detailed drawings.