Best motion setup?

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will have 5 or so Hikvision turret cameras connected to a Blue Iris server in my basement. I have a 4tb drive, but not sure if I want to record 24/7. How well does the motion detection work? Do you use the Blue Iris software or the motion feature on the camera to trigger the event?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will have 5 or so Hikvision turret cameras connected to a Blue Iris server in my basement. I have a 4tb drive, but not sure if I want to record 24/7. How well does the motion detection work? Do you use the Blue Iris software or the motion feature on the camera to trigger the event?
The motion detection in blue iris is superior the the cameras motion detection. You need to read the help file in detail to understand the settings.

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How accurate is it? I never had good luck with motion lights, but I think the Blue Iris software works differently. It sounds like it actually analyzes video on the fly looking for changes. Do many users feel comfortable only using the motion setting within Blue Iris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How accurate is it? I never had good luck with motion lights, but I think the Blue Iris software works differently. It sounds like it actually analyzes video on the fly looking for changes. Do many users feel comfortable only using the motion setting within Blue Iris?
It analyzes pixels. It doesn't know what its seeing. You need to set it properly.
The camera works the same way.

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would definitely not use the cameras own on board motion settings because for starters if you have different cameras on your network, you have to use the different settings whereas with BI, they are all there in the same place and under the same roof so as to speak. And not to mention they are highly customisable.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just FYI, I have 5x1080p, 1x960p, and 1x720p all recording 24x7 to a 3TB drive, and have room for a full week's worth of recordings.

Even though I feel that motion capture is pretty good, I still find there are times when I really appreciate the ability to go back and review footage for events that failed to trigger an alert, or that were buried in a bunch of alerts that were triggered by shadows from wind blown trees, or by light changes from clouds.

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just FYI, I have 5x1080p, 1x960p, and 1x720p all recording 24x7 to a 3TB drive, and have room for a full week's worth of recordings.

Even though I feel that motion capture is pretty good, I still find there are times when I really appreciate the ability to go back and review footage for events that failed to trigger an alert, or that were buried in a bunch of alerts that were triggered by shadows from wind blown trees, or by light changes from clouds.
thats a thought too. I have a 4tb drive so I guess I have the room. I was just hopping this would limit recording to real events and make those events easy to find.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can do continuous recording and still have alerts and motion events. Navigating through the events is pretty much the same whether you record continuously or not. The only real difference is the ability to go backwards or forwards through time beyond the beginning and end of what BI considers the start and end of the event.

You also gain the ability to view synchronized footage from all of the cameras to look at what else might have been going on at the time of an event.