Best Image Quality IP POE Camera?

dmcgowan

n3wb
Reaction score
We are building a boat and looking at a forward mounted camera to (definitely) provide forward visibility to a phone and (hopefully) be able to capture Timelapse of river footage. Have an 8 camera Hikvision home system on BlueIris but not sure the image quality is on a par say with GoPro.

Home cams are few years old so mix of 4MP and 6MP which is no doubt part of the issue.

Would appreciate any recommendations on “best image quality” for an IP PoE camera. Within reason as only one cam, budget not a big issue?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Over the last 2-4 years, there has been an incredible development in image sensor technology and image processing by ISP processors. Today good CCTV cameras see in full colour at night with normal street light / lamps. In full darkness You need IR light and switch to BW mode, but some light (boats lights + full moon) should allow for colour image.

The problem is not that You have 4MP cameras - You don't need more pixels. You need big sensor with big pixel (in size) and good optics to catch more light. And You need optical zoom (not fake digital one) to see more to front / at distance. No more mega pixels - this will give You almost nothing at cost of pixel size (more pixels in the same size sensor = much smaller pixels = less light).

The most popular cameras here are Dahua 5442 / 5449. They are 4MP cameras with big premium image sensor (1/1.8") and very good image / AI processing. The 5442 / 5449 contains many models with different chassis, zoom options, light type (IR / white).

In my opinion the best for front visibility on boats should be varifocal bullets. Varifocal means they contain OPTICAL ZOOM - like in profesional cameras.

I gave You 2 options - first one (ZE or ZHE) have wide zoom range with 47° to 115° degree field of view. So You can observe objects up to 23 - 52 meters (depending of zoom level You will setup)

Zrzut ekranu 2024-01-17 o 09.36.29.png

Second (Z4E) will give you narrow zoom range with 15° - 43° degree field of view. So you can't see a very wide (like go pro) image. But with this model You can observer up to 158 meters.

Zrzut ekranu 2024-01-17 o 09.39.12.png

If you need more - there are PTZ cameras. They have 25-32-48x zoom range and they can see in any direction (not only to front);

This is 25x zoom PTZ with the same 4MP 1/1.8" size sensor. this camera will give You option to observer up to 689 meters in any direction.

Zrzut ekranu 2024-01-17 o 09.43.51.png

PS. all those cameras contain IR light (models with more zoom have more range for IR light) and they see in infrared mode at any light condition. Minus you will have black and white image.

Last edited:

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are higher PTZ models, with 60x optical zoom. And they have a WIPER!!!

But hey cost a lot more :(

dmcgowan

n3wb
Reaction score
Steve,
Thanks so much for all that detail. I see Dahua have 1/1.8” 4K cameras - but sense you’d say stick to 4MP? Will be inland waterways so wide frame / not much distance is perfect - no need for 60x zoom at 4-5 mph!!
Really appreciate the reply - thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you mention GoPro, most will find that they can produce a better image than an IP camera, especially during the day - but they each serve different purposes.

Just like you wouldn't take a video camera used at a tennis match to broadcast the match on ESPN and hang it on your house for surveillance, you wouldn't take a surveillance camera to try to broadcast a sporting match!

Nor would I take a GoPro and hang on the house for surveillance camera - night imaging would be difficult.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Steve,
Thanks so much for all that detail. I see Dahua have 1/1.8” 4K cameras - but sense you’d say stick to 4MP? Will be inland waterways so wide frame / not much distance is perfect - no need for 60x zoom at 4-5 mph!!
Really appreciate the reply - thank you
:)
Yes - Dahua have 8MP cameras...
There are two options / ways:

- Dahua 5842 - the same line as 5442, simply different 8MP 1/1.8" sensor.. More resolution, the same quality, simply at night You will have worse performance (smaller pixels in sensor)... The same options for chassis, zoom range or light.

- Dahua 5849 line (aka Color4K-X) with 8MP even bigger 1/1.2" sensor.. This line have even better night performance, but due F/1.0 aperture and big sensor size it have big problems with depth of field (not everything in image is sharp).. Like bokeh effect in profesional cameras.

Also this line don't have varifocal option. You can choose fixed lens: 2.8mm, 3.6mm and 6.0mm - so there is no option for tighter framing like with varifocal. Also there is no IR light and this cam can't see infrared. And video image is very processed (digital sharpening to hide problems with bokeh effect).

Before ordering this cam You should read threads about problems:

dmcgowan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks both for the replies - I will have a deeper look at the Dahua 4k options. May be in the minority here but not really looking for night time / surveillance performance - in some ways an "always on" GoPro option for daytime navigation / cruising. Lots to think about - thanks

dmcgowan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Looney, the main thing is about doing timelapse of our travels so the delay isn't an issue - river / canal boats move at 2-3 mph so walking pace only... Have used a GoPro on a grip mount for same in the past but looking for something more robust / leave in place.

Reaction score
Hey, did you make any choice in the end? I'm in the UK and Dahua cams seem to be a bit harder to source here at reasonable prices, so I ended up going towards Annke NightCroma and Hikvision colourvu type cams.

Exactly two years ago. I was looking for great low light performance, so specifically 1/1.8" and 1/1.2" sensors combined with with F1.0 fixed optics to let in loads of light, and I wanted POE to make installation easier. So:

1. I've been running two Annke NC800, Model 191BV (4K 3840x2160) (8.3MP 1/1.2" sensor, F1.0 2.8mm lens) 24/7 for the last 23 months. These cost me £189 each) Annke are made by Hikvision, and I managed to flash Hikvision firmware onto these to increase their capabilities (3rd video stream). REALLY happy with their video quality night and day, I stream and record 24/7 at H265 with a decent bandwidth.
  2. I also picked up four HIKVision DS-2CD2347G2-LU (2688x1520) (4MP 1/1.8" sensor, F1.0 2.8mm lens). These cost £100 each. These are also really great cameras, are smaller and were half the price of the NC800's, but not surprisingly, they are not as good in really low light due to their smaller sensor.
  3. Then I picked up several Annke NC400, Model I51DQ (QHD-2560x1440) (3.7 MP 1/2.7" sensor, F1.0 2.8mm Lens). These were £75 each. Although these have a fast F1.0 lens, their low-light imagery is pretty bad with having such a small sensor. Would have been worth spending the extra £25 each on more Hikvision 1/1.8" cams. Their saving grace if at all is they are much smaller physically, so less obtrusive to use indoors.
  4. finally I'm just awaiting a Hikvision bullet cam 8MP 4K DS-2CD2T87G2-L Which has a 1/1.2" sensor, and a 6mm F1.0 lens. I needed the extra reach along with the low-light capability and resolution, so I hope it is as good as the two Annke NC800's I've already been running. Due to the large sensor combined with a wide aperture lens and longer focal length, the depth of field is impacted: Nothing closer than about 10 meters will be in focus (Physics), but I need it to be working on an area situated 13 meters to 35 meters away, so it should be ideal.