Best camera for garage?

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How is it on motion? That camera is fine if you just want to look around and be like is the garage door down. But they are notorious for being ghost blur motion during nighttime and infrared situations.

Especially if someone is then also using BI.
I can't disagree. As a newbie, just playing around with coverage and going cheap. Continuing to learn before higher investment in better cameras.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure anything is possible, but most don't want to run the 180 with the white LEDs on, hence why I pointed out it doesn't see infrared.
I'm suggesting the LEDS are run on trip triggers with the recording not permanently on.

Most don't want a night light on nor start adding motion sensing lights in a garage, so a camera with infrared is an ideal candidate.
I'm not suggesting a night light just purely PIR, although a small permanently on is a possibility.

Plus adding a PIR to a completely dark room will result in momentary blinding by the camera when the light kicks on, thus potentially missing the best chance to catch the perp.
True there maybe a momentary switch over, but I doubt you're going to miss the perp. If in an enclosed space, they're not going anywhere in that moment such as walking past the camera as it's enclosed. They'll either be in there taking things or trying to break into the main house throught the door, both of which take time.

Further, the 180 lights are either on or off and do not act as a motion sensing light.
I'm not sure what the camera's abilities are. On the TIOCs the LED's could from memory be set to come on when a trip zone was triggered. I presume the 180 is the sam,e but stand to be corrected.

Further since is it the 1/1.8 sensor versus the 1/1.2" sensor, I don't think a 5watt light would be enough to light up the image to also get a clean capture.
It wouldn't have to be if other lighting such as the camera LED's kicked in. There's nothing to stop you using any size bulb in there. I just thought the in camera leds were a better solution because if on normally, it could get annoying if the lighting kept dimming and brightening as the PIR was triggered. With a small bulb and the light mounted high out of sight, you'd probably never notice the switching as the increase / decrerase ina dditional light with the main light on would b minimal.

So in that event if a perp came in with just a small LED flashlight, with the 180 without additional lighting, the 180 won't get enough light from the LED flashlight alone to catch a clean capture.
If not relying on supplermentary light and all the above suggestions are discounted then yes and the OP should choose 5442's. But that potentially menas buying multiple cameras and he still won't cover everything unless he buys quite a few ie more than 2.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here using an Amcrest PT 4MP camera for the standard 2 car garage. In the old house with 3 car garage used a 28mm lens dome mount camera. Trying something new with this setup using TP-Link PLC WLAN device with two Ethernet ports. Works fine. The WLAN part is for the myQ system which also works fine. I didn't want to pull an Ethernet cable to the garage. With this set up planning a second camera (dome) for the driveway.

I have LED lighting turning on with garage door and house entry door via MQTT triggers and events going to Home Assistant.

PIR lighting view

GDO-1.jpg

With lighting on. Really doesn't matter much relating to the PIR. What I like is using powerline Ethernet which works much better today than a few years back.
GDO-2.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm suggesting the LEDS are run on trip triggers with the recording not permanently on.

I'm not sure what the camera's abilities are. On the TIOCs the LED's could from memory be set to come on when a trip zone was triggered. I presume the 180 is the sam,e but stand to be corrected.

If not relying on supplermentary light and all the above suggestions are discounted then yes and the OP should choose 5442's. But that potentially menas buying multiple cameras and he still won't cover everything unless he buys quite a few ie more than 2.
TIOCs are designed for deterrence over image performance, so they can have the lights come on with motion as that is part of the deterrence aspect. Plus the TIOCs can see infrared.

The 180 and the 4K/X and 4K/T are designed around performance and as such the white LED are either on or off and are not able to be "motion activated" when it is triggered.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
TIOC...understood and thank you. Old here (retired) now and absorbing AI technology. ;)

It's a garage with a steel door to the house with deadbolt.

That said using earlier technology (first outdoor IP cameras) outdoors and outdoor Optex PIR sensors went to turning on all exterior lighting with motion in the early 2000's in old house plus installation of cameras facing the house from the corners of the property all cameras saw other cameras in a legacy no AI methodology. At the time the lighting would go on at 100% at 3 AM deterred only roaming Coyotes. Well also used Geophone sensors buried under cement walks and back yard and exterior mounted Ultrasonic blaster speakers.

Last edited: