BBQ Time

Reaction score
Uninformed Assessment: based on the sequence, it looks like he walked out and then grabbed the tongs to turn the food, and then noticed that there might have been a flameout. Meanwhile, gas was filling the chamber, and then he hit the ignitor and BAMMM!

He almost looks to have a grin on his face at the start, as if he notices the neighbors sniffing his dinner over the fence. Man that BOOM alone would be enough to make me shit my drawers! o_O

Edit: oh, I just saw his own title...now I'm not so sure about the sequence...

Last edited:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Silver lining .. cool, new approach to opening all the BBQ lids o_O

We humans will sometimes ignore senses when we really ought not. We had a winter here many moons ago, and in the depths of that winter came an ugly storm with really sticky, dense snow. I lost count at the 11th guy who had lost his fingers when his snow blower 'jammed' leading the guys to believe the machine had stalled. When they attempted to unpack the blades, presto .. pressure released, power restored, blades spooled up and loped off their fingers. They would have been able to 'hear' the engine, but the lack of blowing created enough of a pattern interrupt to short circuit their brain, which lulled them into a dangerous sense of security...

This guy had his sense of smell .. but?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This guy had his sense of smell .. but?
My thought as well, it was ~ 3 seconds from opening the lid to hitting the button....but if we don't intentionally sniff and pause a second the nose can't do its job.

He also proved he's human though...pretty sure we've all had a moment where we've looked back and said to our self..."man, I should have thought about that" or "I shouldn't have done that." I know I have.

Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it's by God's grace I'm able to post this today. :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm careful with the grill. Open the lid, turn on the tank. Leave it for a few minutes and check for gas smell, then hit the igniter. If it goes out mid cooking, shut off the valves, wait a few minutes, check for gas smells then turn it on and hit the igniter. I always shut off the valves then the tank when I'm done and make it all a ritual so nothing is missed. I'm already bald so no hair to protect me or lose in a flash like that ;)