BackStreet-Surveillance on Youtube; Am I being toooo critical of the information he is giving?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe I am being a bit critical, especially since this is a business providing security consultation and installation services for homes and businesses, but knowing what I know now there is a lot of incorrect and misinformation in just this one video.

I am not sure where he keeps getting the 60' distance from.
Facial ID at distances of 60' with a 3.6mm?
License plate ID at 60' with a 3.6mm?
Claims 100% coverage, but with obstructions in the way?
Non-overlapping views, but states you can see someone come up to cars in the driveway. (What if they come up on the other side of the car?)
Asking cameras to do way too much.

There is some reasonable information, but the biggest thing I took away from this is I now have a free camera layout tool that I can use to map out my house. It's a little generic, but better than what I have now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No you are not being too overly critical.

None of those claims are valid - they sell rebranded gear.

They haven't invented a camera that defies basic physics.

Sadly we have seen many "professionals" that folks around here call trunk slammers (not saying that is what they are as I haven't dealt with the company) - but the trunk slammers all they want is the quick buck and are in business to install quick systems with overpriced cameras on less than ideal MP/sensor ratios and leave everything on default/auto settings.

That is cool we now have another camera layout tool now that IPVM is a paid service!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I am being a bit critical, especially since this is a business providing security consultation and installation services for homes and businesses, but knowing what I know now there is a lot of incorrect and misinformation in just this one video.

I am not sure where he keeps getting the 60' distance from.
Facial ID at distances of 60' with a 3.6mm?
License plate ID at 60' with a 3.6mm?
Claims 100% coverage, but with obstructions in the way?
Non-overlapping views, but states you can see someone come up to cars in the driveway. (What if they come up on the other side of the car?)
Asking cameras to do way too much.

There is some reasonable information, but the biggest thing I took away from this is I now have a free camera layout tool that I can use to map out my house. It's a little generic, but better than what I have now.

Back Street imho is dishonest enough in prior videos I have seen, that I can not trust any of their videos ..

"when comparing apples to apples .. " - Backstreet

They incorrectly compare one of the cheapest lorex kits with a higher end backstreet kit .. and imply all lorex models / kits are the quality of the cheap kits .. he's an image of them purposefully breaking the stem of a plastic body cheap coax camera from Lorex ..

1682176540329.png

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
He says a lot in this "Golden Rules" video that contradicts what he said in the other video I linked.

Someone also commented that he is worse than Reolink, haha.