Axis m5014 setup in Blue Iris with sub stream

Reaction score
Hi,
For the Axis m5014, the default settings in Blue Iris don't provide a way to add a Sub stream. I choose
Make: Axis
Model: *M/P/Q series H.264

The Main stream profile is : /axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=h264&size=1&camera={CAMNO}

This translate to 0.9MP, 6.49/0.20 fps, 700 kB/s (I don't know why, but I can't get it to go up to the 30 fps it's supposed to be able to provide.... but that's for another thread)

I wanted to setup a substream to be easier on resources so I did this:
Make: Generic/ONVIF
Model: *RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4

Main: /axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=h264&resolution=1280x720&compression=20&fps=6&videokeyframeinterval=6&videobitrate=0
Sub: /axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=h264&resolution=1280x720&compression=50&fps=6&videokeyframeinterval=6&videobitrate=424&videobitratepriority=framerate

This translate to :
Main: 0.9MP, 6.03/1.00 fps, 845 kB/s
Sub: 0.9MP, 3.08/1.04 fps, 56 kB/s

Should I bother and create a sub has above? Or should I just use the default method without the sub? Is it worth it to use a sub in this case?

See the status below. Cash is the one with the sum. Cash2 is the one with the original method without the sub:

2022-11-21 23_24_46-Window.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As this is a 1MP camera the substream is not worth your time. Its already using minimal resources (even more so when set to only 6fps as in your case). You can lower the bitrate. You will not see any discernable difference.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh. OK. Makes sense. Usually what's the camera specs that are worth substreaming?
It would depend on the load on your system. But i would not bother with anything 2mp and under, in fact when possible my substream is on 1080p (newer dahuas allow this on substream 2) and 1mp on hiks (using the third stream). Many folks like to use a substream at a low bitrate to get long term storage of continuous recording and then switch to main stream on motion trigger so in that case it may make sense on lower res cameras but again I would not bother on a 720p cam.

Reaction score
It would depend on the load on your system. But i would not bother with anything 2mp and under, in fact when possible my substream is on 1080p (newer dahuas allow this on substream 2) and 1mp on hiks (using the third stream). Many folks like to use a substream at a low bitrate to get long term storage of continuous recording and then switch to main stream on motion trigger so in that case it may make sense on lower res cameras but again I would not bother on a 720p cam.
And what'd be the target bitrate (kilobyte per second) tolerated without a Substream necessary?