Audio surveillance

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

This is kind of off-topic as we talk here about IP Cameras.

I have 8 dahua IP Cameras + NVR, working great. These cameras have audio, but sound quality is not very good, in particular at distance above 10 meters.

I would like to complete my setup with audio monitoring but independently from cameras.

What I would like to look for a device like this:
  • IP Microphone
  • outdoor / IP66
  • good microphone quality (type shotgun mic), close to professional quality
( - not indispensable, but maybe ability to record on NVR if possible or equivalent )

Basically same as a good IP camera, but audio only...

I don't know if this exists.
They sell some mic to connect to cameras sometimes, but I would like something completely independent.

Thank you for any clue.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The first thing to do is to go into the configuration of each camera and shut off the noise filter on the audio tab. You'll hear a dramatic difference with filtering shut off..

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The first thing to do is to go into the configuration of each camera and shut off the noise filter on the audio tab. You'll hear a dramatic difference with filtering shut off..
I am looking for something completely independent from cameras.
I will underline it in my original post so people don't miss it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
And I will say the same thing again. The reason I say this is that the noise filter in the cameras mutes the audio significantly and you can get "audio surveillance" from them, without using extra microphones. But if you insist on doing it the hard way -

Micro Seven Microphone

This would need a PoE splitter and additional wiring to bring the audio in to an appropriate recording device. A quick search shows no IP capable microphones.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Similar to above, here's a few (non pro) options for outdoor mics, all analog audio, to be used with a cam that has an audio input.
Also check you NVR for aux audio connections, which will allow this audio signal to be sent directly into your NVR.
A 3rd option is to encode the analog audio into a usable digital format for your NVR.

For professional mics, the Shure SM68 looks promising. Onmi directional mic that does NOT require phantom power.
Has mic-level balanced audio output, defined as a 'rugged outdoor mic' but must be sheltered.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd add that the Shure might also have a limit to the amount of cable it can drive a signal through as will any analog microphone. Impedance and resistance will kill the signal at some point.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting, so I have a question, how do you sync the audio with the video?

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd add that the Shure might also have a limit to the amount of cable it can drive a signal through as will any analog microphone. Impedance and resistance will kill the signal at some point.
Cable distance - very easy to send balanced audio 100's feet using balans & CAT cable.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Playback at the same time???? :rofl:

I see a few problems with the whole concept though. Trying to sync the audio on another device to the video on a separate device is problematic unless there is access to real video production equipment and you're experienced enough to do that, assuming you want to see the video that matches the audio. Next is in many European countries I get the impression that recording audio, and video for that matter, in public spaces is not permitted or is only permitted in special circumstances. Checking local laws is probably a good idea.

Far easier to use the audio channel of the cameras and get both the audio and video painlessly synced. The audio can be "stripped" out if needed without too much trouble.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Playback at the same time???? :rofl:

I see a few problems with the whole concept though. Trying to sync the audio on another device to the video on a separate device is problematic unless there is access to real video production equipment and you're experienced enough to do that, assuming you want to see the video that matches the audio. Next is in many European countries I get the impression that recording audio, and video for that matter, in public spaces is not permitted or is only permitted in special circumstances. Checking local laws is probably a good idea.

Far easier to use the audio channel of the cameras and get both the audio and video painlessly synced. The audio can be "stripped" out if needed without too much trouble.
Just my 2 cents:
Anyone who has ever tried to sync separate audio and video knows the problem of timing. Depending on what format the audio is recorded with, the timing of the video, it can become a disaster. If it were me I would experiment with a Cam and the separate Mic on a test bench first and see what is needed to sync them together. My personal experience with audio/video syncing has been a nightmare. I actually gave up in a lot of cases, I have had audio tracks that would have different timing to where the beginning of a movie, the audio was out of sync by, lets say a 1/16th of a second, the middle of the movie 1-2 seconds then at the end back to 1/16 of a second. Recording Source bad? Maybe I am over thinking this, but for surveillance footage I would assume this would be important. Who said what/when...

VLC, as I am sure with other players, allows you to resync audio, provided the audio is not changing speeds/timing, most of the time this works for playback with a good audio source...

1627346834672.png

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have had good luck running external mics thru a cam with an aux audio input, alleviates any sync issues.

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The reason I say this is that the noise filter in the cameras mutes the audio significantly and you can get "audio surveillance" from them, without using extra microphones.
I would like to try, but in Dahua NVR interface, same as connecting to camera directly, I do not see any "noise filter" checkbox or looking like that.
Maybe someone has a clue on chere that setting is, and if it is available or not...

Capture d’écran NVR screenshot.jpg

Capture d’écran 2021-07-27 115122 NVR Sshot 2.jpg

Secondly: unfortunately, my existing camera don't have RCA input.
I believe the easiest solution is to install a new camera (if possible with a great sound quality out of the box) with possible RCA input for an external mic.
Can external (analog) mic be with about 12 meters cable ?

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, using the NVR interface it is not the same as connecting to the camera itself.

Go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1611926899349.png

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, using the NVR interface it is not the same as connecting to the camera itself.
Thank you, I will do that at the end of this week. I am off-site now, so I prefer to wait a few days because I cannot access the camera settings remotely, only NVR.
There are two cases: cameras with ISP address and cameras on NVR subnetwork (could before be accessed with NVRexternaladdress:10080/1/2/3).
But in short: simpler to wait a few days, then I will test solution recommended by sebastiantombs.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Some thoughts, consideration, and use case from personal experience in no specific order of relevance or importance. In special circumstances having the ability to listen with pin point accuracy on a target area that is extremely far has value to some.

Think border security, think defined choke point, think equipment monitoring, think high ambient noise. Having a very focused long range microphone can provide that aspect. These come in standard discreet element configuration and more expensive laser, RF etc.

Ultra Sonic: There are situations where it’s not about listening as is being able to alert, narrow, filter, direct a PTZ camera. In this case ultra sonic proximity sensors are ideal to detect and move a PTZ camera to a target area.

The same ultra sonic sensors also come in ranging types. Which offers incredible insight as to the distance & speed of an object. Again if connected to a security system it can help the network and user to focus its resources to the pending threat.

It goes without saying these types of sensors are prone to false alerts. As such when they are in use and deployed these sensors are NOT the $0.99 variety!

Radar: Only in the last ten years has radar technology come down to somewhat reasonable levels where a consumer could purchase that wasn’t military restricted technology. The obvious benefits of current generation of radar is the ability to operate in very extreme temperatures and weather conditions.

Think fog, pitch dark, high winds, extreme brightness.

Unlike any microphone and ultra sonic the latest generation of radar can track multiple targets and provide distance, speed, height etc.

There are countless other types of sensors that offer benefits in specific environments think microwave. Ultimately these different types of sensors help expand the range, reduce false incidence, target / narrow location, to increasing reliability.

As it pertains to the topic at hand there’s value in having discreet microphones that can focus on a target area. As others noted if the same needs to be recorded with video get ready to invest lots of time and resources to make it work!

When the same is only used in a live use scenario that doesn’t need video synching. The use of this technology has lots of value to those interested in CCTV security, nature, and environmental.

As it pertains to security cameras it makes little sense not to use, deploy the same.

Even the cheapest current generation of Dahua / Hikvision hardware offers twice the performance when compared to ten years ago. Some models easily capture crystals clear audio exceeding 100 feet in no wind conditions.

The same at 0-25 feet is truly incredible at times to hear and listen to!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
OP asked for an external mic, and some other things.
Here's some posts re: adding an external mic to a cam equipped with "audio in" RCA jacks.

Hookup details:

Another how-to for mic/audio hookup:

Bullet mic review, w/ legendary nayr comments:
Bullet Mic Review

Great advice from the previous commenters, btw!
Good luck,
Fastb

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, I have configured all my cameras without the noise filter, as suggested by sebastiantombs.
I will monitor like this for a few days or weeks, to see (hear) if result is satisfactory for my need. At least, invest = 0. Thank you