Audible fan noise from Hikvision DS-2DF7284-A IR PTZ speed dome

ton1968

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

My first post on this forum. My name is Ton and I'm based in the Netherlands. I'm soliciting responses on the question whether it is normal for ptz speed dome cameras, in particular the DS-2DF7284-A or other models from the same range, to generate audible noise continuously.

In May I bought a brand new DS-2DF7284-A camera from a local re-seller. Some 35 seconds after connecting power the camera started generating a very audible noise, apparently coming from a fan that starts running from that instant onward. The noise is not related to PTZ movements in any way. Main spectral peak of the noise is at about 2 kHz. The noise is not extremely loud but very audible and because it is present continuously, it becomes very annoying after a short while. The camera also produces a similarly pitched noise from another fan immediately after connecting power, but that noise is much lower in volume and would seem acceptable to me. The intended mounting location is an exterior corner of my house at a height of about 3 m (residential area).

My re-seller agrees with me that the noise is unacceptable and wants to refund my payment. Although he has not sold this type of Hikvision speed dome camera before, he has mentioned that such a noise is not normally found in ptz domes of other brands. The distributor that has supplied the camera to my re-seller, on the other hand, currently claims that the noise is normal. Previously this distributor had admitted that the noise was abnormal.

A brief chronology of events is as follows:

• May 17. Received and tested first camera. Noise appeared. Returned camera to re-seller. Re-seller claims camera is back at Hikvision Europe for repair.
  • June 24. Received first camera a second time. Noise still present. Statement from repair center: all functions of camera OK, sound is 'voice from fan'. Returned camera to re-seller.
  • July . Distributor claims to have tested other cameras from same production batch and found them all to produce noise. Wait for new batch to arrive from China. Re-seller has asked distributor to test camera from new batch for noise before dispatch.
  • September 23. Received new camera from supposedly new batch. Noise (still/again) present. Camera returned to re-seller. Distributor now claims that noise is normal and that this is acceptable for typical outdoor application in remote areas! Serial number of this last camera is DS-2DF7284-A20131029BBWR438806163C. Production date on box: October 2013. Have not recorded these data for the first camera, so cannot judge whether second camera is really from a different production batch.

I cannot believe the distributor's most recent statement that this noise is normal for this type of camera. All it needs is a decent fan, that can't be too hard. Neither could I find any references to similar problems with Hikvision cameras on the internet. Or is everyone accepting this noise as normal? Hard to believe!

Therefore I would like to know from people on this forum their experiences with fan noise from PTZ speed dome cameras, in particular Hikvision. I have asked my re-seller to look for alternative distributors that may be able to supply the same camera type. I don't want to strike-out the Hikvision PTZ speed dome (yet).

Thanks for your attention,
Ton