AT&T Gigapower (Fiber to the Home) with an Oculus Rift

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand and acknowledge that I am lucky to be in a physical fiber to the home environment. I also acknowledge the majority of people do NOT need 1Gb up/down speeds however, I sure do love it and benefit from it.

I recently picked up an Oculus Rift to see what all the hype was about and I've gotta say it is pretty intense and freaking awesome! However, with all the content downloadable and not located on physical media it really puts my internet connection to work. The average content/games run from about 15Gb - 30/40Gb. It's great being able to download these in a few minutes however I am pushing/pulling on average 20-30Gb a day now...

There has been a lot of talk recently as Comcast and others have rolled out Datacaps and I'm lucky to not have a data cap or throttle restrictions since I carry mult products with AT&T (cellular, video, internet). Bottom line is between streaming services and new consumer tech products (Oculus for example) most internet service providers are going to have to evaluate how they conduct business or handcuff their customers with datacap restrictions.

speedtest.jpg

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They will think about it for a second and then proceed to implement data caps now that it is rolled out in a ton of cities without much fallout.

I bought one of those oculus rifts a while back and haven't really used it much past the demo and fun toys. I stuck a Leap sensor on the front and it allows for some fun interaction. But you're right--every time you turn it on it needs more updates. 10GB here, 20GB there.

My Comcast connection goes well and far beyond the 1TB data cap effective November. Last month's RRD showed 21.9TB... oops haha

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cant wait til they bring fiber in here, its wrapping my neighborhood literally.. and there is a switching facility in my neighborhood.. its why I bought here, but still after 8 years of promises.. no terminations here yet.

im on comcast business, so no datacaps.. but only because both me and my wife's work combined take care of the internet bill.. we consume alot of data.. ~10TB avg.

I'd sure like faster internet but I have little room to complain, when I go into the office downtown our fiberoptic connection to corp HQ is slower than what I have at home.. so I suppose its not that bad.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
cant wait til they bring fiber in here, its wrapping my neighborhood literally.. and there is a switching facility in my neighborhood.. its why I bought here, but still after 8 years of promises.. no terminations here yet.

im on comcast business, so no datacaps.. but only because both me and my wife's work combined take care of the internet bill.. we consume alot of data.. ~10TB avg.

I'd sure like faster internet but I have little room to complain, when I go into the office downtown our fiberoptic connection to corp HQ is slower than what I have at home.. so I suppose its not that bad.

I have Comcast 250down but never see 15up. max is 12.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah my Comcast is nice, average between 150-170 Mbps down and around 10-12 up. Luckily I'm not pegged for a data cap yet either. Not sure how they can really do something like data caps but someone once said 'greed is good'... still waiting to see how that is.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Grats on the gigabit internet. ISPs rarely make that affordable to normal folk. It is frustrating thinking about all the people who have gigabit internet and only use it on wifi that can barely manage 100 Mbps on a good day.

I have an Oculus Rift too, but it hasn't been used since the HTC Vive came out. Rift is supposed to be more comfortable than Vive, but my head is a bit larger than they designed the Rift for so it presses on my face just as badly. I'm not sure I will use the Rift for much even after I get my Touch controllers.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Grats on the gigabit internet. ISPs rarely make that affordable to normal folk. It is frustrating thinking about all the people who have gigabit internet and only use it on wifi that can barely manage 100 Mbps on a good day.

I have an Oculus Rift too, but it hasn't been used since the HTC Vive came out. Rift is supposed to be more comfortable than Vive, but my head is a bit larger than they designed the Rift for so it presses on my face just as badly. I'm not sure I will use the Rift for much even after I get my Touch controllers.
The touch controllers could make things interesting in December, we'll see. My only issue really has been with racing games - Project Cars gave me some serious VR sickness after about 10 min. I've read a few articles and changed some settings to see if it helps, however I haven't tried a fast paced race/session yet to see if it made a difference.

As for the internet pricing, I'm at $80 a month, so its a deal compared to what I've seen some people posting about having to get business accounts etc for either the speed or datacap issues. I laugh every time I hear people complain about internet speeds then follow it up with "my wireless blah blah blah".