Astroimaging With Andy's Ultra Low Light 4K Full Color Cam

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
The picture says it all. Have you ever tried to count the "7 Sisters", Subaru The Pleiades or whatever one knows the constellation.
I am getting ready for the meteor shower upcoming and the Lunar eclipse.sky.jpgsky.jpg

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As soon as I saw your other capture in the other thread you started it clicked. Re-aim the Color4K-X, pointing at whatever celestial events are on that night, and capture away.

Looking forward to all the imaging to come!

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait till you see all the space junk. Last night was a clear night with 1/2 moon.

I use this site for satellites.

Aircraft I use this.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wait till you see all the space junk. Last night was a clear night with 1/2 moon.

I use this site for satellites.

Aircraft I use this.
and wait till we throw up more newer better mo mo space IoT products ...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I was thinking about this guy DH-SD8A820WA-HNF .

I figured if it was upside down, with a -30 degree down tilt, at 15 ft. on the roof,
I could have my cake and eat some too.

So far, I can make out dust lanes with current setup. I think I am down to
magnitude around 4 depending on dust and smoke in the air.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That camera is not made to be installed upside down and will probably fail within short order and then you paid a boatload for a dead camera.

I believe the one I referenced is the only one that is capable of being installed up or down. The one I referenced goes all the way around in all directions and is less expensive than the one you referenced.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get your focal length right though...:lol:

Seriously though, what setting are you focused on to obtain distant, clear images? I'm playing catch-up .. lets assume you have the perfect camera, it's pointed up at the patch of sky you'd like. Now what?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing was turn on B/W at night, manual shutter set to what does not sparkle.
gain 0 8.3, vivid .

Right now the sky is blue I turned back on color shutterblusky.jpg 30K

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone sourced some sort of PT 'platform'? Something we can just bolt a camera onto with the camera aligned in the right axis so the camera is easy, and predictably pointed/tilted? If that existed you could perhaps come up with a setup a bit like those DSLR telescope setups, which can just dial any object up, and then aim right at it without the user needing to find it themselves.

At least you'd be able to sit inside, and train your camera on the moon, or the rings of saturn or maybe a quest to discover dark matter. There has to be some motorized PT mount which would allow you to do this, but I'm not sure where.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
It would be easy to cobble together a GOTO mount. I used a Orion tripod wth a quick release dove-tail
mount. I pulled the binos off and put 2 screws into some wood for the mount. So the "Arm Strong" method
of movement.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
No just a tri-pod from Orion. The goto is a cheap thing w/ RJ45 and batteries. I have not played with it yet.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
And gamma down to 0 or 1-3. Adj. brightness to get the low magnitude stars to twinkle.
One thing that makes a big difference in the monitor and size. What I see on the 32" Samsung M7
and a 65 inch Samsung QLED are worlds of difference.

I can adjust the settings to get very low magnitude stars to twinkle on tv but do not on monitor
.It reminds me of the "P" ratings of old monitors. The TV real fast like P1 or P2. The monitor
reacts fast but does not show the ills of adjustment.

Right as I write I am chasing the brightness from 61 now down to 40 in the past
few minutes. Sun is rising.