Artifacts since enabling sub-stream

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Confirmed, with sub-stream disabled the artifacts are there, and as soon as I turn them off the whole video gets smoother too

If I turn them on, it becomes a bit of a mess

I did think this could be a recording issue, I'm recording to 4 random old 4TB disks, later on I might grab a spare Intel 800GB SSD and throw it in there and configure it to record to that just to check

Weirdly, CPU usage is nice and low now anyway, not the 5-9% I was getting before, but around 17% which is better than the 25-30% I was getting before. I still have one camera (2PM@30FPS) set to sub-stream, that is my LPR which is only recorded 247 with no motion. But I wonder if the latest Blue Iris updates optimized some things?
did you enable limit decoding?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just testing this on one of my installs running 5.3.3.14 it works as intended. There may have been a bug introduced with a later update.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I did not, would that have helped? I don't recall ever having that box checked after not really understand the benefits from reading the guide

I more often than not have the live feed up, so it sounds like it would just be off most of the time anyway

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not, would that have helped? I don't recall ever having that box checked after not really understand the benefits from reading the guide

I more often than not have the live feed up, so it sounds like it would just be off most of the time anyway
No it wont help. It may have caused an issue that is why I asked. Dont use it.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay cool, I just went through all my cams and verified they are all unchecked

It looks like that extra 2MP@30fps camera set to sub-stream is helping anyway. I guess without it its like adding two extra 2MP@15fps cameras to my setup

I could also change how I am recording, possibly I should not be recording motion and 24/7, I only did this because a long time ago you couldn't use the flags to export a section of video, so sometimes I'd end up having to download an entire hour clip

It seems like with alerts on motion, I could possibly replace the clips. Only downside would be sending the clips off-site wouldn't be possible in the way I'm doing it

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or go back to an older version. I'm on 5.3.6.1 and the substream to mainstream is almost instantaneous - a split second on the sub and then to the main.

And do not run substream for the LPR camera - mine was missing events and the pic quality sent to Plate Recognizer wasn't good enough quality. Your camera is close enough it might not be a problem, but I would suggest watching the feed for awhile and see if you are getting the alerts, especially at night.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
the LPR Camera is using OpenALPR, so its not even touching Blue Iris. Its one of the reasons I chose it, so it doesn't have to be involved with Blue Iris

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like there has been an update last night, and then again today. The pace of these changes are a little too rapid for me, I'm going to stay where I am without sub-stream until everything is a little more stable

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was surprised you had problems but then I record 24/7 and not just on triggers. I stayed on 5.3.something for a while but have gotten back to updating as they come out. Worst case, you can always revert back if you do update.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like there has been an update last night, and then again today. The pace of these changes are a little too rapid for me, I'm going to stay where I am without sub-stream until everything is a little more stable
He really ought to work on updating the android app. It hasn't been updated since January of 2020. It works okay but it's definitely clunky and the alert tab should have a way to organize alerts better.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah the app isn't great at all, I have issues with it randomly closing and sometimes videos will playback super stuttery unless I pause and re-play

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I got this back from Blue Iris, a little frustrating since I already covered that it doesn't happen without sub stream (and my settings are all correct), but doesn't really matter at this point since I have turned it off

I think it's something with the camera settings:

Confirm camera feeds (in camera settings, not BI) is ONLY using H.264 or H.265. H.264+ or Smart Codec etc will not work

Set bit rate to VBR instead of CBR.

It could be your graphics card but doubtful. You could turn it off for the camera to test.

Follow document link below to optimize all your camera connections. The Performance and Troubleshooting webinar is also helpful.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My substream to Mainstream changeover time has improved, and my night recording of the front parking lot has been cleaner from artifacts, after I removed the Nvidia gt710, and bought a Display Port to DVI cable. ( i had stuck the Nvidia in because my Dell monitor has no HDMI or DP.) Vga being used by Nightowl 16ch.
All the camera's revert to Mainstream faster. That nvidia band aid was making the whole system chug i think.
all this from reading the forums and seeing stuff I'm struggling with as well...

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
They really should slow down and think about these updates, coming thick and fast with big problems it seems

1610121837762.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The manual installation simply meant that BI couldn’t update itself automatically, just had to run the update manually so no real biggie?