Are fanless PoE switches necessarily better?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Are they built better with better-grade components? Will they outlast their fan counterparts? What are your opinions? I am considering a 24-Port Ubiquiti 2nd Gen PoE Switch as a replacement to my current TP-Link PoE switches as my primary network already runs through the UniFi ecosystem (USG + UniFi 8 Port PoE + UniFi 4 Port PoE, 4 Port Standard + 5 UniFi access points) :)

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe. A moving fan is always going to be a failure point. But, if well built, can last a damn long time. If not, squeaking in a year or three. On the other hand, fanless will run hotter, if designed to handle it, it can run for decades, if not, well, the harder you run it, the quicker it will fail. I think you have to go with the brand and possibly model/series to guess at reliability. Ubiquiti has a very good reputation, you have a bunch, why not?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I run the ubiquiti fanless switches in a couple of areas that are prone to high temps like my garage. I’ve added a couple of the AC Infinity external fans to keep air moving across them along with a temperature sensor to turn the fans off. Seems to work well for the last 2-3 years they’ve been in service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I like this idea, how frequently do the fans have to turn on/off during a typical day? Is there a particular temperature sensor you recommend?

I run the ubiquiti fanless switches in a couple of areas that are prone to high temps like my garage. I’ve added a couple of the AC Infinity external fans to keep air moving across them along with a temperature sensor to turn the fans off. Seems to work well for the last 2-3 years they’ve been in service.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are the items I use:

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S5, Quiet...
And they make a temp controller:

AC Infinity Controller 1, Thermal... Amazon.com: AC Infinity Controller 1, Thermal Trigger for AIRPLATE, MULTIFAN, USB Fans and Devices. Computer, AV Cabinet, Home Theater Cooling. : Electronics

It doesn’t run much in the winter (I’m in New England) but does run a bunch in the summer as things heat up and combine a warm day with pulling in a hot car and closing the garage door and these things will run for a long time albeit pretty quietly though.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Excellent, I wonder if I amount the AC Infinity fans on top of my server rack. The two fans I have currently are as loud as a plane's jet turbine :rofl: I'm forced to keep them off most of the time; the fans are toggled on/off by a smart switch

Here are the items I use:

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S5, Quiet...
And they make a temp controller:

AC Infinity Controller 1, Thermal... Amazon.com: AC Infinity Controller 1, Thermal Trigger for AIRPLATE, MULTIFAN, USB Fans and Devices. Computer, AV Cabinet, Home Theater Cooling. : Electronics

It doesn’t run much in the winter (I’m in New England) but does run a bunch in the summer as things heat up and combine a warm day with pulling in a hot car and closing the garage door and these things will run for a long time albeit pretty quietly though.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.