Apps on Iphone not working on remote access

Jojo

n3wb
Reaction score
I just finished setting up my foscam camera and am using the Blue Iris. So far I can view the camera remotely from the laptop from anywhere outside of my home wifi.
However on the Iphone, I could only view when I am home, using the same wifi where the camera is. I keep getting an error message:
Blue Iris
Unable to make connection. Check server address.

I'm pretty sure I put down the correct info on both LAN and WAN and un-checked the https option.
Is there a step I missed that I am still not able to access remotely?
Would appreciate any feedback/info.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just finished setting up my foscam camera and am using the Blue Iris. So far I can view the camera remotely from the laptop from anywhere outside of my home wifi.
However on the Iphone, I could only view when I am home, using the same wifi where the camera is. I keep getting an error message:
Blue Iris
Unable to make connection. Check server address.

I'm pretty sure I put down the correct info on both LAN and WAN and un-checked the https option.
Is there a step I missed that I am still not able to access remotely?
Would appreciate any feedback/info.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum...make sure you put the port number after the external ip address so for example 234:234:24.222:XXXX where XXXX is the port number.

Jojo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, Fenderman. And yes, I did include the port number and I could open it from my computer or search engine on my phone on LTE. Just couldn't open the Apps on WAN.

So the log in looks like this (I changed the numbers a bit)
LAN: 192.168.1.56:8090
WAN:

Ken just responded to my email as well and he said:
That is routed!However, it's routed to a Foscam camera, not to Blue Iris ... just adjust the routing for port 8090 or add a new port number for Blue Iris ...

Now, how do I do what he said?

Thanks,
Jojo

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, Fenderman. And yes, I did include the port number and I could open it from my computer or search engine on my phone on LTE. Just couldn't open the Apps on WAN.

So the log in looks like this (I changed the numbers a bit)
LAN: 192.168.1.56:8090
WAN:

Ken just responded to my email as well and he said:
That is routed!However, it's routed to a Foscam camera, not to Blue Iris ... just adjust the routing for port 8090 or add a new port number for Blue Iris ...

Now, how do I do what he said?

Thanks,
Jojo
ok first of all remove you wan ip address from your post..others can attempt to log into your camera this way..
EDIT: I went ahead and did this for you.
When you use blue iris you dont need to port forward the cameras themselves just the blue iris webserver..in fact you shouldnt forward the cameras - its an additional security risk..
So first, disable port forwarding for all your cameras in your router...
Then determine the ip address and port of your blue iris webserver (the ip address will be the same as your pc) go to the webserver tab and set the port to something like 8585...
Then forward port 8585 to the internal ip address of your blue iris pc...
Now, make sure that the pc has a static ip address - this can be done in your routers dhcp reservation.

Jojo

n3wb
Reaction score
ok first of all remove you wan ip address from your post..others can attempt to log into your camera this way..
EDIT: I went ahead and did this for you. THANKS!!
When you use blue iris you dont need to port forward the cameras themselves just the blue iris webserver..in fact you shouldnt forward the cameras - its an additional security risk..
So first, disable port forwarding for all your cameras in your router... - OK, DONE. I DELETED THAT PART. SOMEHOW WHEN I WENT TO 'CAN YOU SEE ME', THAT PORT (8090) IS STILL SHOWING UP AT SUCCESS.
Then determine the ip address and port of your blue iris webserver (the ip address will be the same as your pc) go to the webserver tab and set the port to something like 8585... DONE. YOU MEANT I SHOULD CHANGE THE DEFAULT 81 (WHICH I PREVIOUSLY CHANGED TO 8090) NOW TO 8585, CORRECT?
Then forward port 8585 to the internal ip address of your blue iris pc...DONE. SO THE INTERNAL IP THAT IS THE SAME AS THE ONE IN THE WEB SERVER PLUS :)8585), CORRECT?
Now, make sure that the pc has a static ip address - this can be done in your routers dhcp reservation - DONE AS WELL.

BUT NOW WHEN I WENT TO 'CAN YOU SEE ME' AND TYPE IN 8585, I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE. AND I ALSO CAN'T OPEN THE WEB FOR MY WAN:8585 ALTHOUGH I HAVE FORWARDED ON THE INTERNET ROUTER?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
EDIT: I went ahead and did this for you. THANKS!!
So first, disable port forwarding for all your cameras in your router... - OK, DONE. I DELETED THAT PART. SOMEHOW WHEN I WENT TO 'CAN YOU SEE ME', THAT PORT (8090) IS STILL SHOWING UP AT SUCCESS.
Then determine the ip address and port of your blue iris webserver (the ip address will be the same as your pc) go to the webserver tab and set the port to something like 8585... DONE. YOU MEANT I SHOULD CHANGE THE DEFAULT 81 (WHICH I PREVIOUSLY CHANGED TO 8090) NOW TO 8585, CORRECT?
Then forward port 8585 to the internal ip address of your blue iris pc...DONE. SO THE INTERNAL IP THAT IS THE SAME AS THE ONE IN THE WEB SERVER PLUS :)8585), CORRECT?
Now, make sure that the pc has a static ip address - this can be done in your routers dhcp reservation - DONE AS WELL.
Something is not right if 8090 is still working after you deleted it..make sure the settings took effect...

BUT NOW WHEN I WENT TO 'CAN YOU SEE ME' AND TYPE IN 8585, I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE. AND I ALSO CAN'T OPEN THE WEB FOR MY WAN:8585 ALTHOUGH I HAVE FORWARDED ON THE INTERNET ROUTER?
ok, what router are you using? is it a modem router combo?
everything else looks good...

Jojo

n3wb
Reaction score
ok, what router are you using? is it a modem router combo? NETGEAR Router R7000. It is only a router since the internet is connected thru POE.
everything else looks good... I AM STILL not able to see it tho? When I go to the public IP:8585, it gives me an error message. Also when I go to 'canyouseeme', i got another error message.

Again, thank you so much for your willingness to help me with this. Getting a bit frustrated since I've been trying for a few days now :)

Jojo

Jojo

n3wb
Reaction score
I just reread the manual on Blue Iris and saw that the LAN address put in the web server should be different from the one in forwarded on the router, is that correct?
Basically I need to know:
1. Where do I get the: Local, internal (LAN) access for the Blue Iris Web Server?
2. The IP address for the Blue Iris, is that the same as my IPv4 address?
3. So the 1 and 2 are different IP, correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just reread the manual on Blue Iris and saw that the LAN address put in the web server should be different from the one in forwarded on the router, is that correct?
Basically I need to know:
1. Where do I get the: Local, internal (LAN) access for the Blue Iris Web Server?
2. The IP address for the Blue Iris, is that the same as my IPv4 address?
3. So the 1 and 2 are different IP, correct?
The internal lan address of the blue iris server is always the ip address of the pc running blue iris
yes it is you ipv4 address..yes they are different..

Jojo

n3wb
Reaction score
The internal lan address of the blue iris server is always the ip address of the pc running blue iris

I am feeling a bit dumb, but the IP for the PC that is running Iris is the same as my IPv4 address tho...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I am feeling a bit dumb, but the IP for the PC that is running Iris is the same as my IPv4 address tho...
that must be your external ip...the ip of the pc running blue iris will be something like 192.168.1.56
While the external ipv4 address will be the wan address you posted earlier.