Anyone Willing to Double Check Me?

spiffy

n3wb
Reaction score
First post, so hopefully the research I've done pays off.

I've finally decided to pull the trigger on starting my own first Blue Iris setup. I just ordered the computer, an HP Elitedesk 800 G3 (i5-7500), and am working towards gathering the rest of the supplies. I'm still in the planning stage, and was looking to see if I was on the right track for the network and setup.

The current setup is as follows:
-2 story house with basement
-AT&T Fiber home internet
-Supplied router from AT&T, which only has 4 ethernet ports.
->Of those 4 ports, 1 is for their wireless TV antenna which connects our two wireless cable boxes, the second port is being used for our living room cable box, the third is for an exterior wire run upstairs to our master bedroom cable box, and the fourth is currently being used for my gaming console.

After some poking around in the attic and basement, I'm fairly confident I should be able to run wire inside the house and eliminate any exterior wiring. I plan on running Cat6, doing all of my own terminating and whatnot.

As far as the "new" network goes, I'm planning on doing the dual NIC card on the Elitedesk, and running the cameras off of one port and the home network on the other. With the limited ports available on the router, I plan on adding a switch to expand the home network slightly and add available wired access points. Eventually, or possibly at the same time, I might add two additional wireless access points to have better coverage since reception can be spotty if you're not on the main floor.

Right now, I think I've decided on using the IPCamPower PoE switch for the cameras (and IR lights if necessary). I haven't decided on a switch for the home network, but I'm less concerned about that currently as I'm still planning. I've attached my poorly drafted design, with everything in green being attached to the main network, and everything in orange being the separate network for the cameras. I guess I'm mainly looking at seeing if I'm on the right path, or if anyone has any input on where I might be able to improve some areas.

Thank you,
Ethan

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
IP cameras should always have a fixed IP address. That can be assigned manually in each camera through the web GUI and the router never enters into the picture at all when configuring the network in the camera, it is also a good idea to give it a bogus gateway and DNS address to further protect from it being able to "phone home".

@spiffy From my experience, your network diagram looks fine, both visually and network wise.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are planning on accessing your camera network remotely. Than plan on having openvpn. This should be part of you initial build. There are a number of different ways to do it but the easiest is to get your own router that supports openvpn. Then place the att modem into pass thru, by pass mode. So all it does is modem work. No routing work. Then use your own router for all other functions.