Any suggestions on which Cat5e cable to use?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Most all the cable will be in the attic or crawlspace. Only a very small amount could be exposed outside for my install. Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Most all the cable will be in the attic or crawlspace. Only a very small amount could be exposed outside for my install. Thanks!
Buy from a known seller..no ebay etc...make sure its solid not stranded and copper not copper clad aluminium (cca)
check monoprice, or cable matters and c2g on amazon.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or you could waste your money and buy beldon or RS, unlike you guys in the US the cat5e we buy in the UK has a british standard kite mark and CE mark, if you can find a cat5e with these any will do.

Even our cheap nasty cat5e is solid copper, but it very important over longer cable runs that it is solid copper

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No, thats exacly the kind you want to avoid. Its copper clad aluminum...
Thanks... I see that now. I'm going to need about 200' so I need to find some that's 100% copper. Appreciate you pointing that out!

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Good info there @Bentley... My plan is to use as high a quality setting for recording as possible. Cat5e should be okay as long as it's 100% copper, right? @OldStyle, send me a URL to the cable you bought on Amazon. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
A good quality cat 5e cable is all you need unfortunately there are some rather poor quality cables for sale out there. Solid copper is what you want the sheathing/ coating is very important for the task at hand, exposed to weather, buried, in wall, etc. You get what you pay for I've seen cat 5e sell for $85.00 to $185.00 for 1000 feet. Some are much more expensive. Southwire is sold by home depot and other big box stores read the reviews. Southwire is a good brand. Stick with a quality brand there are a lot of them.