Any network gurus want to chime in

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got a strange situation; install I’ve been working on for a year is about to be complete and now they want another network extended to a secondary site. I originally installed 1000’ Om3 and spliced 2 of the 3 pairs lc. 1 for the additional dozen cameras and 1 for a backup. Well then there IT guys took the second, now spectrum wants the 3rd for their voip. Stripping om3 back and borrowing another fusion splicer is going to be an ordeal. Isn’t there a way to take an ip from spectrum’s switch (192,168.0.x) patch it into ITs ubiquity managed switch, the one with my fibers sfp (10.x.x.x) and have it come out on the other same model switch with spectrums 192 address?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make a network diagram. Refer to the OSI model.

You can use VLANs, especially if you want to isolate parts of the network from each other. Whether or not you have to would depend on if your switches are operating at Layer 2 or Layer 3.

It's also possible to assign multiple IP addresses to a single interface.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
VLAN is what I thought and mentioned to their IT guy and he just looked confused! I know both switches are managed but they’re an outside company I doubt will give me admin access

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mentioned to their IT guy and he just looked confused
That might have been acceptable 20 years ago, not so much today, but everyone has their specialties.

I see a change order in your future that 'encourages' the client to select an option that doesn't involve using the remaining fiber.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well there exist bidirectional transceivers that utilize only one strand of fiber, so you technically could run 4 physically separate links on what they already have. Most bidirectional (bidi) transceivers seem to be for single mode fiber, but I did find one for multimode assuming 1 Gbps speed is all they are looking for. 1.25Gbps SFP BIDI, Simplex LC, 1550nm/1310nm, 550m, Multimode - NS-GLC-BXM-D

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well there exist bidirectional transceivers that utilize only one strand of fiber, so you technically could run 4 physically separate links on what they already have. Most bidirectional (bidi) transceivers seem to be for single mode fiber, but I did find one for multimode assuming 1 Gbps speed is all they are looking for. 1.25Gbps SFP BIDI, Simplex LC, 1550nm/1310nm, 550m, Multimode - NS-GLC-BXM-D
I wish you would of chimed in an hour earlier; just bribed an ATT guy at the bar to bring his splicer over!

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wish you would of chimed in an hour earlier; just bribed an ATT guy at the bar to bring his splicer over!
Well back to drawing board, att guy didn’t want to have to risk cutting existing 2 pairs to strip back cladding to get to last pair. Your suggestion sounds plausible but I’ll have to check specs; for some reason I’m thinking it’s 850nm which isn’t listed on that part. My other thought was maybe the dahue epoe switches could do the vlan but I’m not sure if both are managed. And dahua has now closed tech support on Saturdays. They continue to try and push me to other manufacturers!

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its where you locate the new managed switch . I would install upfront of all incoming connections, manage the vlans accordingly.
AT&T shouldn't have an issue with that.