Any advantage to having 2 NICs on BI PC

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
one NIC to connect BI PC to router1 for internet & local network, other NIC to dedicate router2 for all the cameras? Sorry if this was asked at prior time

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
one NIC to connect BI PC to router1 for internet & local network, other NIC to dedicate router2 for all the cameras? Sorry if this was asked at prior time
None at all, unless you are maxing out your current card which is highly unlikely.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
None at all, unless you are maxing out your current card which is highly unlikely.
Thanks, just curios on this, one: a different application, does anyone have two NICs so they can run something like wireshark on a firewall while other NIC is on router network after firewall. Don't laugh, I'm a network novice.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The main reason for having two NICs would be so you could have your camera network be separate from the rest of your network. The cameras would not have access to the internet or to any other computer on your network besides the BI PC and the other cameras, so you would be safe from practically any security hole in the camera firmwares. You would not even need a router for the separate camera network as long as you assigned static IP addresses to everything. You might even be able to configure Windows to act as a router for the camera network if you wanted, but I would not bother.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
The main reason for having two NICs would be so you could have your camera network be separate from the rest of your network. The cameras would not have access to the internet or to any other computer on your network besides the BI PC and the other cameras, so you would be safe from practically any security hole in the camera firmwares. You would not even need a router for the separate camera network as long as you assigned static IP addresses to everything. You might even be able to configure Windows to act as a router for the camera network if you wanted, but I would not bother.
I was thinking that it would be more secure, but wasnt sure, could use an old router or switch. NICs are cheap, 2nd one is nice for configuring new networking stuff too.