Another newbie here with general camera and install location recommendations

Reaction score
Good day and thank you for allowing me to join the group!

I have spent the last week or so reading multiple threads within these forums. My gosh, some of you are truly amazing and knowledgeable when it comes to home, security cameras, and all the hardware and technology behind it.

In some of the recommended reading for a noob like myself, I read the general recommendation for specific cameras depending on what your goal was…. Observe, detect, identify…etc. with that said, I’m hoping you guys can give me recommendation that may suit my needs. If it was up to me, I would go all out and blanket my property up with a lot of cameras, but I have a wife that also has a spending problem. For everything I spend, she one ups me. I’m sure you know what I mean. So I have to keep this reasonable. Lol. My goal to start with is to probably purchase a pretty basic system (few cameras and NVR) and build it out as time any money allow. At first, I simply want to cover the points of entry into my house, including the driveway, garage door, front door, back door. I would like to be able to identify someone walking on the sidewalk in front of my house as well as when they approach through my front yard to my house, and ultimately identify them. If this is unreasonable (budget is $750-$1000) please advise. FYI there is usually a small Jeep compass parked on the left hand side of driveway just past the sidewalk. The distance from my front door to the sidewalk is approximately 50 feet and the distance from my overhead garage door to the sidewalk is about 35 feet. I have some cameras now (all generally fixed 2MP 1/2.7) as seen in the pictures, but they are not that great of quality (or I probably didn’t get the right camera for the job lol) and I think I installed the one above the garage and near the front door too high as often times when I view footage I am seeing the top of peoples heads. (Noob). I think I would be pretty content with an NVR and not BI if you think that would work efficiently for my scenario. I have network cable w PoE already in the entire area above the garage as it is attic space. All existing cameras are connected by PoE including the camera on left side of house and camera underneath gazebo in back of house. I can easily get network cable to back patio door or close to it ( gazebo corner closest to back door). No street lights but I have many low voltage landscape lights around the entire house. (Ignore Christmas lights in pics. lol) Back patio floodlight and gazebo lights come on with smart switch when my patio door is opened after sunset. What do you think my best options for equipment and location to get me close to what my goals are?

Thanks again and I sure I speak for others when I say Im greatful for all the time, effort, and knowledge those of you put in to help us new folks. I appreciate it.

Attachments

Reaction score
After reading some more on here and looking at some other members installs and posts, @ICPete @Ri22o , @wittaj , I’ve come up with a tentative plan for a few cameras and install locations in the front of the house and would like your thoughts please. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Front porch

3541F-AS-M 3541F-AS-M (2.8mm) - I see some members use it as one option, @Ri22o

Others seem not to like it.

IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 or the fixed version.

Use: I have a doorbell camera that I can still use to watch and talk to people immediately ifo the front door but I also need a camera (preferably near where current camera is to replace it) to identify people as they approach the front door either from sidewalk or front yard.

Location & Height: My current camera is mounted at 9’ and I have learned that’s a bit too high. I see tops of heads many times. There is also a front door coach light right below it that may provide some challenges as to where to position it. Thoughts?

Over garage by attic window

IPC-Color4K-B180 IPC-Color4K-B180 Or turret

Use: General Overview camera for driveway, most of front yard, sidewalk and street

Location & Height: Centered above garage and trellis @10’ where current camera is located

How much light does it need at night? I have landscape lighting (always lit after sunset) and two coach lights that I can turn on if needed(usually not turned on) Soffit above camera is 16” wide so camera (I chose bullet style vs turret for ~12” length) may need to get push out from the wall a bit somehow so it has a better view at its 180’s. I see a Junction box mount can be added and adds 2.2” or so. Thoughts?

Driveway

IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3

Use: Identify vehicles pulling into driveway and people walking up driveway and approach to the front door sidewalk

Location & Height: Under the garage header on the right corner @ 7’. At night there is a small SUV parked on the left side of driveway.

Left side of garage

IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3

Use: Identify people walking through left front yard toward the driveway, house, drivers side of daughter’s car parked on left side of driveway.

Location & Height: Somewhere on the left side of garage before the bump out @ 7-8’.

So with that said, as recommended on here, I think I might purchase one IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 , place it where I am thinking about, and experiment with focal length to help see if this will fit my needs. Of course I am hoping one of you will give me some guidance if you see something from your experience that definitely won’t work on my end.

Thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After reading some more on here and looking at some other members installs and posts, @ICPete @Ri22o , @wittaj , I’ve come up with a tentative plan for a few cameras and install locations in the front of the house and would like your thoughts please. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Front porch

Use: I have a doorbell camera that I can still use to watch and talk to people immediately ifo the front door but I also need a camera (preferably near where current camera is to replace it) to identify people as they approach the front door either from sidewalk or front yard.

Location & Height: My current camera is mounted at 9’ and I have learned that’s a bit too high. I see tops of heads many times. There is also a front door coach light right below it that may provide some challenges as to where to position it. Thoughts?

Use: General Overview camera for driveway, most of front yard, sidewalk and street

Location & Height: Centered above garage and trellis @10’ where current camera is located

How much light does it need at night? I have landscape lighting (always lit after sunset) and two coach lights that I can turn on if needed(usually not turned on) Soffit above camera is 16” wide so camera (I chose bullet style vs turret for ~12” length) may need to get push out from the wall a bit somehow so it has a better view at its 180’s. I see a Junction box mount can be added and adds 2.2” or so. Thoughts?

Driveway

Use: Identify vehicles pulling into driveway and people walking up driveway and approach to the front door sidewalk

Location & Height: Under the garage header on the right corner @ 7’. At night there is a small SUV parked on the left side of driveway.

Left side of garage

IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3

Use: Identify people walking through left front yard toward the driveway, house, drivers side of daughter’s car parked on left side of driveway.

Location & Height: Somewhere on the left side of garage before the bump out @ 7-8’.

So with that said, as recommended on here, I think I might purchase one IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 , place it where I am thinking about, and experiment with focal length to help see if this will fit my needs. Of course I am hoping one of you will give me some guidance if you see something from your experience that definitely won’t work on my end.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome cpd .. looks like you've done some great research so far and a quick looks seems like your plan is looking good ..

Reaction score
Welcome cpd .. looks like you've done some great research so far and a quick looks seems like your plan is looking good ..
Thank you @mat200

Do you have any recommendations for where to mount the camera near my front door and for the camera to the left of the garage. Hopefully if you look at my pictures, you can get an idea of possible mounting locations. Also with the turret style camera, if I end up mounting on a vertical wall, do I need to purchase the mount for that application or can you mount the turret directly to the wall?

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@cpd5215 Given your list of cameras, the only camera I am concerned about is 3541F-AS-M for your front porch. It has a 1/27" lens like your current 2MP cameras but at 5MP it's going to need sufficient lighting to provide you with quality night images.

If possible, run camera in full color at night. Color provides more details than B/W.

Reaction score
@cpd5215 Given your list of cameras, the only camera I am concerned about is 3541F-AS-M for your front porch. It has a 1/27" lens like your current 2MP cameras but at 5MP it's going to need sufficient lighting to provide you with quality night images.

If possible, run camera in full color at night. Color provides more details than B/W.
Thanks and yea I have seen some members not so happy with that camera. I just like its small form but really after I think about it, I am not sure I will be happy with it and dont think its all that capable to reach that far into my front yard with worthwhile footage. Are you thinking the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 is the better choice or did you have another camera in mind? Will the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 do full color with nearby landscape lightning as ambient?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So i do like the mini dome wedge model of cameras .. I have a 2mp 1/2.7" version .. I prefer it at basically face level on the side of the door that opens ..

In terms of mounting cameras directly on the walls .. depends IMHO if you have the ability to push the pig tail into a wall cavity .. often that can be an issue so I look for junction boxes to help out

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks and yea I have seen some members not so happy with that camera. I just like its small form but really after I think about it, I am not sure I will be happy with it and dont think its all that capable to reach that far into my front yard with worthwhile footage. Are you thinking the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 is the better choice or did you have another camera in mind? Will the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 do full color with nearby landscape lightning as ambient?
@cpd5215 I assume you were buying a few IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 initially. Just test mount it in your front porch using 2x4 and bucket. Best way to really know if it's going to work out for you.

IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 or fix-lens version is best all around camera at this time, much better than your current 2MP cameras. For permanent mount, you can paint the camera to match house color so it blends in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So i do like the mini dome wedge model of cameras .. I have a 2mp 1/2.7" version .. I prefer it at basically face level on the side of the door that opens ..

In terms of mounting cameras directly on the walls .. depends IMHO if you have the ability to push the pig tail into a wall cavity .. often that can be an issue so I look for junction boxes to help out
I gotcha.. Thanks!

Reaction score
@cpd5215 I assume you were buying a few IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 initially. Just test mount it in your front porch using 2x4 and bucket. Best way to really know if it's going to work out for you.

IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 or fix-lens version is best all around camera at this time, much better than your current 2MP cameras. For permanent mount, you can paint the camera to match house color so it blends in.
Copy that...Ill explore with the test rig.. Appreciate it.

Reaction score
@mat200 @actran

Also, I forgot to ask.. In the Wiki I was reading about the NVR and PoE vs Non PoE. I have never had one... I got the impression from reading it's almost better to have a NON PoE. I currently have all my PoE cameras in the front area of house (3 of them ) connected to a PoE switch in garage attic, and that switch is then wired down into the basement to the router. A few cameras in the rear of house run directly into the basement and connect to another PoE switch and then to router. What's my best setup when I add the NVR?

Thanks!

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@cpd5215 You can reuse the POE switch you currently have if it provides enough power. Check it's spec. I don't use NVR, I have BI5 so I'll take a pass on NVR question.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score

Front porch

Driveway

Left side of garage

IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3

Thanks in advance!
The 3541F-AS-M isn't horrible, and I have plenty of light to use it, but if I could go with anything else it would be a T54IR. Once you use them, everything else is junk.

Reaction score
The 3541F-AS-M isn't horrible, and I have plenty of light to use it, but if I could go with anything else it would be a T54IR. Once you use them, everything else is junk.
Ha. It seems to be a common theme. I can’t wait to get my hand on the T54IR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 @actran

Also, I forgot to ask.. In the Wiki I was reading about the NVR and PoE vs Non PoE. I have never had one... I got the impression from reading it's almost better to have a NON PoE. I currently have all my PoE cameras in the front area of house (3 of them ) connected to a PoE switch in garage attic, and that switch is then wired down into the basement to the router. A few cameras in the rear of house run directly into the basement and connect to another PoE switch and then to router. What's my best setup when I add the NVR?

Thanks!
Most members seem to prefer going with blue iris instead

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, just curious if you have a security alarm? door contacts, motion sensors, glass break sensors? if not I would consider it firstly.

Reaction score
Most members seem to prefer going with blue iris instead
Yea, I see its really popular and probably offers more features than I would ever no how to use...Im more of a simple man and probably would be content with a NVR unless I am missing something obvious that makes an NVR a non stater for some???