Amcrest AD110 - Australia installation

pommie

n3wb
Reaction score
Not that we install things upside down in Oz but our houses dont have Chimes like in the US. Ive been in touch with Amcrest support but they seem to copy and paste whats on their website.

Ive received my AD110 door bell and Amcrest support said it supported both AC and DC so i hooked it up to my Variable DC power supply and ran 16V to it and it works fine.
Doorbell configured and working on my iPhone and my Synology NAS.

My big question is what do i require to install this in my house given there is nothing at the moment? Do i need to buy a Chime plus a Transformer?
Does a Chime normally provide a transformer built in with an AC output or DC output running to the doorbell?
Should the doorbell be power by AC or DC voltage?

When purchasing a Chime there is a risk that it wont work with the supplied Chimekit as none of the approved Chimes are available in Oz.

is there anyone in Oz that has installed this before or can provide me pointers.
I plan to get a sparky in to do the work but still need to know what to purchase first?

Any advise appreciated.

pommie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, i dont have a chime unit yet nor do i have a transformer, i was wanting to understand how they work first so i can research an appropriate model in Australia.
The only information out there seems to be around the US market so im not sure if i now have an expensive paperweight?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
You can run either AC or DC on most chimes. If you run DC, you will have to have the polarity correct for the chime to work.
If it does not work, just flip it over. I have seen people pick up a wall wart to use as it's easier to plug in then wire in a transformer.
A computer power supply works well. Voltage is not too picky, I have seen from 18 to 24 volt.

I don't know if you can get amazon there, but hopefully it will point you the right way.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pommie

n3wb
Reaction score
T
You can run either AC or DC on most chimes. If you run DC, you will have to have the polarity correct for the chime to work.
If it does not work, just flip it over. I have seen people pick up a wall wart to use as it's easier to plug in then wire in a transformer.
A computer power supply works well. Voltage is not too picky, I have seen from 18 to 24 volt.

I don't know if you can get amazon there, but hopefully it will point you the right way.
Thanks for the advice. I have seen plug in power suppliers that offer either DC or AC voltages. In fact Amazon have this one available in Australia AC1615 DOSS 16Vac 1.5A Ac Power Supply - Suits Alarm Panels Bare Wire Input: 240 V Ac 50Hz Input: 240 V Ac 50Hz, Output: 16 V Ac: Amazon.com.au: Electronics

Q. If this wall wart connects to the Chime, do you then run the same power leads from the Chime to the Door Bell?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
T

Thanks for the advice. I have seen plug in power suppliers that offer either DC or AC voltages. In fact Amazon have this one available in Australia AC1615 DOSS 16Vac 1.5A Ac Power Supply - Suits Alarm Panels Bare Wire Input: 240 V Ac 50Hz Input: 240 V Ac 50Hz, Output: 16 V Ac: Amazon.com.au: Electronics

Q. If this wall wart connects to the Chime, do you then run the same power leads from the Chime to the Door Bell?
Looks like that wall wart would work fine.

the chime goes in series with the power supply. Kind of like a ring, from one side of the power supply to one side of the chime, from the other side of the chime to the door bell, from the other side of the door bell to the last side of the power supply.

Wabmat

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, i dont have a chime unit yet nor do i have a transformer, i was wanting to understand how they work first so i can research an appropriate model in Australia.
The only information out there seems to be around the US market so im not sure if i now have an expensive paperweight?
Hey did you find a solution I’m in your situation now ‍♂ I just brought a amcrest but now I need to find a chime

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @wabnat don’t know if you sorted yours. There’s plenty of vids on YouTube. Check out the nelly’s security doorbell vid.

pommie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey did you find a solution I’m in your situation now ‍♂ I just brought a amcrest but now I need to find a chime
Sorry, very late reply but yes i did find a chime that works in Australia. The 1st chime i purchased wouldn't work. The second chime i purchase looked identical to the first one and it did work.

The model that worked was the ordered from Amazon.
Heath Zenith SL-2796-02 Basic Series Wired Door Chime, White

I managed to pick up a 17V AC 3.2A 55VA Power Adapter Supply Transformer from ebay.

Good luck.
Amcrest suppor sucks.

bjammin

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, very late reply but yes i did find a chime that works in Australia. The 1st chime i purchased wouldn't work. The second chime i purchase looked identical to the first one and it did work.

The model that worked was the ordered from Amazon.
Heath Zenith SL-2796-02 Basic Series Wired Door Chime, White
Hi @pommie ... just wondering if you're still happy with that Heath Zenith chime? I'm struggling to find one that works with the Amcrest AD410.

I don't suppose the first one you purchased that didn't work was the Newhouse CHM1 mentioned above? I've got one of those and it doesn't seem to play nice with the Amcrest.

pommie

n3wb
Reaction score

bjammin

n3wb
Reaction score
Bingo. It looks like you picked up the same one as me which doenst work!
Thanks for the confirmation. My AD410 actually died whilst trying to troubleshoot the chime issue. Luckily I bought on Amazon so they will exchange with no problems.

Odorb

n3wb
Reaction score
So it looks like I can use a Heath Zenith chime and a 16VAC power supply like this with the AD410 in Australia. Does that seem correct?

This is for a new house build and would be done by an electrician from scratch.