Amazon's "Just Walk Out" Checkout

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently Amazon's Just Walk Out "technology" relied heavily couple thousand people in India scrutinizing security footage and is being discontinued.

Just over half of Amazon Fresh stores are equipped with Just Walk Out. The technology allows customers to skip checkout altogether by scanning a QR code when they enter the store. Though it seemed completely automated, Just Walk Out relied on more than 1,000 people in India watching and labeling videos to ensure accurate checkouts. ...
According to The Information, 700 out of 1,000 Just Walk Out sales required human reviewers as of 2022. This widely missed Amazon’s internal goals of reaching less than 50 reviews per 1,000 sales. Amazon called this characterization inaccurate, and disputes how many purchases require reviews.

Last edited:

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I live in a gated community that has a self-serve Amazon convenience store with "Walk Out" technology. The ceiling has a couple dozen cameras and shelving can sense weight changes to monitor when packaged items are removed or returned.

Management told us the "AI" tracking cameras were incapable of identifying an individual. Only silhouettes are seen, not faces.

But after reading the OP's article, I now don't know if I trust the AI aspects. More to the point, if there are groups of offshore workers watching me, then that is just plain creepy.

- Thomas

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More to the point, if there are groups of offshore workers watching me, then that is just plain creepy.
I mean it's better job than a scam call center or stomping around barefoot in a eyedrop factory.

I wonder if this is also why the machine vision at Kroger self checkouts works so poorly.