Alerts/Triggers - Best Practices questions

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at the Dahau camera settings there seems to be a lot more granularity (for lack of a better word) to the settings than are in BI. And I have seen a couple of posts where someone has said that a lot of folks are using the cameras AI functions rather than DS or CP UI in BI.

Also I have noticed with the EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE, it senses motion much further away than BI (which for what I am doing right now is preferable).

With that being said, is there a "Best Practice" in whether or not/when to use the camera settings to trigger alerts vs using the built in BI "Motion sensor" setting on the BI "Trigger" page?

Also, if I use the camera settings, do I then change BI to use the "Cameras digital input or motion alarm" for triggers?
From what I have seen in the cameras settings I think I can fine tune what I want to trigger on and then it will send only the triggers that are defined in the settings, Is this correct?

Thanks,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI has way more motion setting granularity than the cameras. Once you play with it more you will see that.

There isn't really a best practice because every field of view is different and use case and needs are different.

To many here, BI motion is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, camera AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, using the BI AI adds additional functionality that the above alone can not do.

It comes down to testing with each field of view and which one gives you the most consistent results.

If you decide to go with the camera AI, then set up the IVS rules within the camera and let it do its thing!

Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI (assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".

Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.

Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box.

On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab (those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)

On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, that is a lot to take into account, I will be marking this post for future reference!

One thing I noticed the other night was that the IPC-T5442T-ZE picked up motion much further out than BI did, and for notification that is definitely better for me at this time. That led me to think that maybe using the camera settings was better than using BI settings, along with thinking that the camera make would be more likely to get the best results out of their hardware (at least with the better cameras/vendors).

I haven't dug into either BI or camera settings very much yet. Part of the reason for the post was to determine where the best place to initially start was.

With all of the stuff related to cameras, various camera capabilities, camera config, BI, camera locations, etc., I am trying to figure out how to get the best initial results before starting to look into tweaking BI and/or the camera and getting into the more advanced stuff. This is partially due to having to "prove" the value of having the cameras to my wife (how is also the one holding the purse strings) :)

Thanks again,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For many of us, the camera AI is sufficient.

Default BI motion detection is like 1 second make time and a lot of other settings to try to minimize false triggers to the NOOB just setting it up, so things like further out motion and what not need to be dialed in if that is the use case. But there are WAY more settings in BI for motion detection than is in the camera.

But if the camera AI works for your use case, run with it. Many of us do!