Alert Texts

jfive38

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been using Blue Iris for many years and I had it set up "perfect" for my situation. I manage an apartment complex and have 8 cameras set up for security reasons. I was receiving text alerts with pictures on my phone for all of the cameras up until a few days ago. I usually run though the overnight alerts before I leave for work in the morning and then test the camera settings to make sure everything is working. It worked up until a few days ago and all of the camera settings were correct and the alerts were visible in the program as usual. When I went to test the alerts to make sure they were being sent to my phone they did not show up. Gmail shows them as being sent and the "test" function shows the test as being successfully completed. I checked my cellular company and noticed they had a massive outage very early in the morning. I use US Cellular and I use Textra for my messaging program. Like I said, I have been using Blue Iris since way back and this one has me baffled since Gmail and Blue Iris both say they were successfully sent to my cellphone. I have yet to contact Textra on this issue and have setup email notices for now only on the two license plate cams because of the 500 email limit that Gmail has on free accounts. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

JR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has been happening awhile with every mobile provider and there are many threads started with someone experiencing what you are.

And since you can confirm that BI and gmail sent them, you know it is a mobile provider issue.

See this thread from last month. It appears Verizon in particular is rolling out blocking these types of messages on a permanent basis.

Using the test feature, their algorithm knows you pushed a button, but for the automated alerts, they know that was computer generated and are locking those up.

Best is to move to Pushover ($5) app as every mobile provider is tightening their spam algorithm. It may start working again for months, and then just stop. And then work again.

I used to use the SMS method as well, but the pushover app is way better and more immediate and consistent.

You could try another email provider or mobile provider, but it will happen with them as well.

jfive38

n3wb
Reaction score
It has been happening awhile with every mobile provider and there are many threads started with someone experiencing what you are.

And since you can confirm that BI and gmail sent them, you know it is a mobile provider issue.

See this thread from last month. It appears Verizon in particular is rolling out blocking these types of messages on a permanent basis.

Using the test feature, their algorithm knows you pushed a button, but for the automated alerts, they know that was computer generated and are locking those up.

Best is to move to Pushover ($5) app as every mobile provider is tightening their spam algorithm. It may start working again for months, and then just stop. And then work again.

I used to use the SMS method as well, but the pushover app is way better and more immediate and consistent.

You could try another email provider or mobile provider, but it will happen with them as well.

I will try and get that going for the system. I have too much criminal activity on our street to not get something going. I am not tech savvy as far as code at all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you signup for Pushover, it also has an email option instead of API that you can get going immediately. It would be a simple swap out the email to send to from gmail to the pushover email.

Pushover has a 30 day free trial, so you could get going in minutes with the email option.

I haven't had any issue with that, but many go to the API just to take out the email middle portion. I am currently using a combo of the pushover email and API.

jfive38

n3wb
Reaction score
When you signup for Pushover, it also has an email option instead of API that you can get going immediately. It would be a simple swap out the email to send to from gmail to the pushover email.

Pushover has a 30 day free trial, so you could get going in minutes with the email option.

I haven't had any issue with that, but many go to the API just to take out the email middle portion. I am currently using a combo of the pushover email and API.
So I would use my Gmail account for that email? Sorry, I have installed the app on my phone and will use it. Sometimes simplicity is the most difficult for us older folks. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go into the alerts tab in BI and swap out the gmail email for the pushover email.

The email is being sent from your gmail to pushover and then pushover sends out the push to their app.

jfive38

n3wb
Reaction score
Go into the alerts tab in BI and swap out the gmail email for the pushover email.

The email is being sent from your gmail to pushover and then pushover sends out the push to their app.
OK, well I am trying to get all the information so I can set it up after work. I run a Security Center during the day. I appreciate you and your help.

JR

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I would use my Gmail account for that email? Sorry, I have installed the app on my phone and will use it. Sometimes simplicity is the most difficult for us older folks. :)
Its best to avoid the use of email as an intermediary, you are introducing delay and a point of failure. Blue iris can send the alert directly to pushover. This is explained in the link posted above.

jfive38

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help on this. I did manage to get the security camera alerts going using the email option in Pushover. When If I figure out that API thing I will use that.

Jon

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I gave up a long time ago on email/text alerts some time ago. For me, just not consistent/reliable/fast. Most likely a combination of my cell phone carrier and email service. With push notifications it's been nothing but heaven.