AI push notifications

Grissl

n3wb
Reaction score
When setting up push notifications, why is that when I leave the "required AI objects" blank, and test it, it works? But when when set it up to detect person it doesnt work.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Too many unknown variables.

Post screen shots:

BI Logs (to see if DeepStack is working when a person goes by or if you are getting the Server Error 100)
Motion Trigger page
AI Page
AI configuration page from BI settings screen

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, those look like it is working.

For the use zones, it is greyed out? You need to have a zone identified for it to work. The field of view is blue? did you mask it?

Let's see the alerts screenshot as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that all looks good.

Which camera make is it?

Do the iframes and FPS match?

When you run a clip through tuning, does it identify a person?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That says it all right there and will not work...

Blue Iris and Reolinks do not work well together, but the same principles applies for almost any low end consumer grade camera. It is just Reolinks is one of the more consumer end cameras people buy and come to this site as to why it is pointed out often about. I have a cheapo camera for overview purposes so it doesn't matter, but it exhibits this same behavior even though in the settings I can set an iframe...

This was a screenshot of a member here where they had set these cameras to 15FPS within the cameras (I suspect you will be missing motion that you do not know you are missing....):

1617133192782.png

Now look at they key - that is the iframes ratio. Blue Iris works best when the FPS and the iframes match. Now this is a ratio, so it should be a 1.00 if it matches the FPS. The iframes not matching (that you cannot fix or change with a reolink) is why they miss motion in Blue Iris and why people have problems. This is mainly why people are having issues with these cameras and there are many threads showing the issues people have with this manufacturer and Blue Iris. It is these same games that make the camera look great as a still image or video but turn to crap once motion is introduced.

The Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate and these cameras cannot do that and there is nothing you can do about that with these cameras... The iframe rates (something these cameras do not allow you to set) should equal the FPS, but at worse case be no more than double. This example shows the cameras going down to a keyrate of 0.25 means that the iframe rates are over 4 times the FPS and that is why motion detection is a disaster with these cameras and Blue Iris...A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...try to do DeepStack and it will be useless...

Compounding the matter even worse...motion detection is based on the substream and look at the substream FPS - they dropped down to below 6 FPS with an iframe/key rate of 0.25 - you will miss motion most of the time with that issue...DeepStack probably won't work at all...

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either.

Now compare above to mine below and cameras that follow industry standards that allow you to actually set parameters and they don't manipulate them. You will see that my FPS match what I set in the camera, and the 1.00 key means the iframe matches:

1614139197822.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think I need a tutorial on this subject! Are these set in the camera configuration itself?
Yes, you need to set that up within the camera GUI itself. It cannot be done in Blue Iris.

And we have found many cameras either do not allow that setting to be manually changed, or the camera software ignores a setting it doesn't like.

Dahua and Hik and the various OEM counterparts can, but a lot of cameras cannot.

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you need to set that up within the camera GUI itself.
OK, now I am feeling more stupid than normal! I knew the substreams needed to be at lower resolution, but guessing I assumed to lower the frame rate as well. Below I have the mainstream configuration, substream configuration and then the full camera details from BI. Hope you don't mind give me pointers on how they SHOULD be now.
MainStream-Front.jpgSubStream-Front.jpg

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For it to work reliably, the FPS for main and substreams should match. And the iframes should match FPS.

Now with the addition of the substreams, in theory one can run a higher FPS than previously, but most have seen that 15 FPS is more than enough.

But your FPS at 10 and iframe at 50 can result in a lot of missed events. That means that it may be up to 5 seconds between images to detect motion, so something could be in and out before it is picked up.

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But your FPS at 10 and iframe at 50 can result in a lot of missed events
So set my framerate on both streams to 20 and on the substream set i Frame Interval to 20. Why is i Frame Interval grayed out on my main stream?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turn off H.264+ as BI doesn't like that either.

I think that will ungrey the iframe.

If not that, It is one of the variables above, but it has been awhile so I forget which one.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I use constant bit rate rather then the variable bit rate.