Advice on Hard Drive

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I got this cool refurb HP computer to run my cams with Blue Iris. So far the computer looks and works great for a sub 300.00. Unfortuantlty is uses this small form factor I have never seen. It's really about the weight of a large laptop and has no room to add drives. I purchased a 4gb WD Purple drive to use for video and planned to add it to this computer as a secondary drive. Well I have no room for it! I can either reimage the new drive with the OS and use it for both video and OS. The other option is keep the 750gb drive with the OS on it and use a external USB drive. Does Blue Iris run good on a WD purple drive if I use that for both the OS and Video? Or do you recommend having 2 drives?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can't fit the purple in your system....you purchased the ultra slim...the small form factor had room for a 3.5 and 2.5 drive..

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can't fit the purple in your system....you purchased the ultra slim...the small form factor had room for a 3.5 and 2.5 drive..
Haha, you are absolutely right! I knew this thing was small, but had not idea. I just opened it up and do see there is no room for a 3.5" drive. When I saw the pictures on eBay, I had no idea it was this small. Guess the good news is that it's low power and will not take up much space. Think I will just get an external usb 3.0 enclosure for my video drive. Does Blue Iris work well with and external usb 3.0 drive for video?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some folks use external USB..but I would recommend using an internal drive..the small form factor will be similarly low power.

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
how about if I just use the 750gb drive that came with it to run the OS and store video? Would the OS performance be ok with all the video IO? Maybe I don't need as much storage as I think I do. I plan to have 4-5 cams that are triggered by motion. I bet I could get a lot of video using a good resolution at 10fps. What do you think?

On a side note, I also have a NAS I can use, but not sure how well Blue Iris would work with saving video over the network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
how about if I just use the 750gb drive that came with it to run the OS and store video? Would the OS performance be ok with all the video IO? Maybe I don't need as much storage as I think I do. I plan to have 4-5 cams that are triggered by motion. I bet I could get a lot of video using a good resolution at 10fps. What do you think?

On a side note, I also have a NAS I can use, but not sure how well Blue Iris would work with saving video over the network.
Blue iris can record to nas...the quality will depend on your network not blue iris

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
id get a cheap 2.5" SSD for your OS and then use that 3.5" spot your 750 used to be for a 6TB Purple.. personally.. using a NAS just adds another device you have to keep online for functionality, and if you want to keep your video online after power has been lost then you can effectively double your runtime or better by not using a NAS.

USB external HDD's suck for video survelence, you want guaranteed throughput (not shared) for reliable video surveillance... so USB and Wifi are non starters.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
id get a cheap 2.5" SSD for your OS and then use that 3.5" spot your 750 used to be for a 6TB Purple.. personally.. using a NAS just adds another device you have to keep online for functionality, and if you want to keep your video online after power has been lost then you can effectively double your runtime or better by not using a NAS.

USB external HDD's suck for video survelence, you want guaranteed throughput (not shared) for reliable video surveillance... so USB and Wifi are non starters.
There is no spot in that pc for a 3.5....it only holds a single 2.5