Advice on building a Security System

ping

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I'm really glad that there is so much information available for people who are interested in implementing their own security solutions. I am considering setting up an alarm/security system in my home and would like your help in completing this task. I am not for ADT, Ackerman or any of the established security companies and would like to implement something on my own without the exorbitant monitoring fees. I was settled on the idea of going with Simplisafe and building a system piece by piece as needed. However, different posts on here have hinted at Simplisafe not being such a great option.

Ultimately, i would like a system with a low monitoring fee, $10-15/month, that I can arm/disarm remotely and receive alerts from. My home is already wired for a few sensors around windows and doors and I would like to add to these. If I can get a system that will integrate with the sensors that are already available, that is great but not a deal breaker if I have to do things differently. So here are my questions:

• What are the pros and cons of going with a system from homesecuritystore.com and getting that monitored by alarmrelay.com versus buying a Simplisafe system?
  • How secure are the EnvisaLink Remote Control modules and should I be concerned that a potential intruder or someone with extra time on their hands can disable the system from the web? Can you share how you have set it up to prevent or mitigate such attacks?
  • What components would you recommend if building a system via the homesecuritystore today?
  • Are there any components that are touted as must haves (glass break sensors, motion sensors etc) that are really not as effective in use?
  • What are your average response times using alarmrelay.com or alarm.com? Does one provide more benefits over the other based on your experience?
  • Also, based on your experience with running and maintaining a system, any hints or tips I should keep in mind?
  • I am not seriously considering home automation at the moment but I may if I can see the added benefit while putting the system together. What are you using HA for in your home and how happy are you with it?

I hope these aren't too many questions. Thanks in advance for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Honeywell has a number of systems under the lynx brand that are wireless. They are very reliable and work well. Can wireless systems be jammed? sure. Can wired systems be compromised? Sure. But you need to ask yourself how far you are willing to go (budget) to account for all possibilities. If someone has the capability to find and disable an envisalink module via the web, you can be sure they are not going to rob your place.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am a fan of the 2GIG system with alarm dot com monitoring. It will run you 20-25.00 a month with no contracts.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the Honeywell Lynx wireless systems. I have put them in my home, both my parents homes, and my grandparents homes. You can find new systems already kitted together on eBay for a few hundred bucks or custom build exactly what you want as well. Out of the box they include the standard POTS/phone line connections. However there are cellular and wi-fi as well as ethernet option modules to add into the main panel. Myself, I run a cellular and wi-fi for duel monitoring. I utilize GeoArm as my provider - no contract, month to month with total connect 2.0 (thats there cellular/remote monitoring app) as well as have the honeywell secure protection which sends a signal when the alarm first sounds via a sensor and sends a second signal when the alarm is disarmed so that if the intruder damages the panel as soon as he enters and they don't receive that second signal they roll police, all this for $20 a month. They have plans as low as $10 a month depending what you need.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a Visonic wireless system in my Mom's home and also in my own home. They can be controlled with a PC, phone or tablet remotely or locally. I also receive an email if there's any problem with the system or if there's an alarm.

I use alarmrelay.com for monitoring at about $10 a month. Been with them for several years and they instantly call me when there are any problems at all including low batteries on the wireless devices. Building your own is a whole lot cheaper than using ADT or any other commercial alarm system.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me elaborate a little more for you from my last post.

What are the pros and cons of going with a system from homesecuritystore.com and getting that monitored by alarmrelay.com versus buying a Simplisafe system?
​Only con with homesecuritystore.com is there pricing...

How secure are the EnvisaLink Remote Control modules and should I be concerned that a potential intruder or someone with extra time on their hands can disable the system from the web? Can you share how you have set it up to prevent or mitigate such attacks?
If you are concerned with something like this then you want to look for an old school hard wired system because all of todays systems have IP links for remote access. You have to trust in the manufacture encryption and security. I would not buy a no name system from China but all your big manufactures ademco/honeywell, DSC, etc are what I would consider trusted names who most likely take all steps possible to assure there products are as secure as possible.

What components would you recommend if building a system via the homesecuritystore today?
Honeywell Lynx 7000 system - again though - eBay, not home security store. The Lynx 7000 system HSS has is $450 (on sale) the exact same kit can be purchased on eBay for $340-350. All mine have come from eBay - they are direct from honeywell and unlocked.

Are there any components that are touted as must haves (glass break sensors, motion sensors etc) that are really not as effective in use?
Door sensors for all main entry points - motion sensors in rooms with window entry points (a single motion sensor is much cheaper then 3 or 4 window sensors), and finally linked smoke alarms/CO2's. I've personally never been a fan of glass breaks.

What are your average response times using alarmrelay.com or alarm.com? Does one provide more benefits over the other based on your experience?
​You should be able to look that up - but take anyones "advertised" response times with a grain of salt. Main thing to assure is whoever handles the monitoring does so from a UL Listed and Approved monitoring center.

Also, based on your experience with running and maintaining a system, any hints or tips I should keep in mind?
​The systems are so smart now a days, they tell you when or if a potential problem is occurring i.e. low batteries, or sensor faults.

I am not seriously considering home automation at the moment but I may if I can see the added benefit while putting the system together. What are you using HA for in your home and how happy are you with it?
The Lynx systems support ZWave module integration into the panel.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
  • What are your average response times using alarmrelay.com or alarm.com? Does one provide more benefits over the other based on your experience?
A few times I accidentally forgot to shut off my alarm system with my remote before opening my walk-in garage door when arriving at home. Alarm Relay would be calling me in less than a minute asking for my password and if there was a problem. I have no complaints about their service.

Last edited by a moderator:

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My only reason for not continuing to use alarm relay is that they don't support 2-way audio.