Advice for lost power on BI PC

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
lost power on second install on Monday and couldn't get their till yesterday, so I didn't know what was wrong till then.

So I could have UPS, obviously, whats a good strategy for loss of power on BI PC?

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you want a UPS. Not only for power outages but for those times the power flickers or surges. I just recently lost my BI server due to a flicker. Fried the motherboard.

Also, if you use a UPS and set it up correctly you can have the UPS send a signal to the PC to shutdown correctly when battery power runs low. That helps against file corruption.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure to set the pc in the bios to restart after power loss.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run BI on a headless Windows 8 server parked in my basement. I use TightVNC to connect to the server when I want to mess with the BI GUI since Windows 8 screwed me out of Remote Desktop Server. I have decent firewall and AV software installed. I also have a UPS. I wanted BI to restart at boot unimpeded by UAC, and I didn't want to run it as a service, so I just disabled Windows 8 UAC. Are there any recommended ways to automagically start BI at Windows reboot?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I run BI on a headless Windows 8 server parked in my basement. I use TightVNC to connect to the server when I want to mess with the BI GUI since Windows 8 screwed me out of Remote Desktop Server. I have decent firewall and AV software installed. I also have a UPS. I wanted BI to restart at boot unimpeded by UAC, and I didn't want to run it as a service, so I just disabled Windows 8 UAC. Are there any recommended ways to automagically start BI at Windows reboot?
Yes, follow these directions works perfectly on 7 and 8..(i believe 10 as well)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html?ltr=E

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also have my BI server plugged into one of these zwave plugin power controllers, so that I can hard power cycle the PC from my VeraLite home automation system: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UZH7B8
Combined with the BIOS setting to restart after power loss, I've so far been able to remotely get my BI server back up after any sort of power or system problem.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, follow these directions works perfectly on 7 and 8..(i believe 10 as well)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html?ltr=E
Yes that should work. I used those instructions to bypass UAC in Windows 10 so I could run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility at startup.

But for BI, I never ran it as a service until Windows 10. Because my BI machine uses Windows 10 Home. So I didn't want it booting automatically and not have BI4 running. Now I only wish I had run BI4 as a service earlier. All I had to do was check the option in the settings and it was done.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes that shoudl work. I used those instructions to bypass UAC in Windows 10 so I could run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility at startup.

But for BI, I never ran it as a service until Windows 10. Because my BI machine uses Windows 10 Home. So I didn't want it booting automatically and not have BI4 running. Now I only wish I had run BI4 as a service earlier. All I had to do was check the option in the settings and it was done.
If you reboot the pc when running as a service, I believe you cannot set it to reboot in full screen mode (i may be wrong, but im too lazy to test)...

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you reboot the pc when running as a service, I believe you cannot set it to reboot in full screen mode (i may be wrong, but im too lazy to test)...

No idea. Now that it's running as a service. I rarely even access BI4 from the PC running it. I do it through my tablets, cell phone, laptops, or desktop PCs. But if I do access it from the PC it's to make some changes or check something.

EDIT: I just checked my BI4 machine running it as a service. I had not opened BI4 locally since it was last rebooted. BI4 opened in full screen.