Adding Wifi to NVR, Doable?

Sector7G

n3wb
Reaction score
I asked in another thread about wifi nvr, but it seems its not a popular piece of equipment.

Thus I would like to find out about adding wifi to an NVR.

I am looking for a NVR/MDVR that I require for a remote surveillance project.
I have tried using trail cameras on the property but they were discovered and stolen.
To try and avoid this, I wish to separate the recording unit from the cameras, hiding the DVR, where in the event the cameras are discovered I will still have the recording on the DVR.
In order to accomplish this I will require minimum 4 CH Wi-Fi camera support, with approx 400’ outdoor range (no walls)
Additionally, this system will be powered by a 12V solar setup, so power consumption and protection is of concern.
Recording to SD card would help with the power issue and motion detection is required. I could of course consider a SSD, assuming costs are comparable to SD card.
30m+ night vision
Lastly I would like SMS event trigger.

I found a NVR (mobile) that can do all (I think) except wifi.

http://caimore.en.alibaba.com/product/60345454871-802312012/4_channel_GPS_3G_mobile_NVR_suitable_for_vehicle_car_bus_security.html

Can I add wifi, by adding a wifi router to the wan port?, and then adding wifi cameras to router?

Will this be limited to one channel?

What am I overlooking?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
as I told you before, what you want to do is not physically possible..

You'd have to build out a completely stand alone point to multi-point wireless network with directional antennas and perfect line of sight with no obstructions, wont work through trees.. trees are worse than walls infact because they are full of water.. Video over wireless requires significant throughput, there is no way around that.

you'd be better off hiding your trail cameras better.. this is not feasible with IP Cameras.. if you continue down this path, I promise you are just throwing away your money.

setup dummy decoy cameras to be stolen and then hide the good ones, layer the shit.. if they find all of them you really sucked at hide and seek as a kid, i can hide a camera right infront of your face and you'll never see it.

Sector7G

n3wb
Reaction score
Using trail cams with SMS, id need a sim card for each camera.

If I had it in the NVR =1 Sim card (subscription cost)

But, if its not possible with wifi....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
each camera is going to need a battery, solar panel, and directional wifi antenna.. thats going to cost alot too, and be an order of magnitude harder to hide well.. especially with a big mast sticking up over the trees.

why do u need remote imagery? you could put a drive/motion sensor on a sim card to let you know about activity.. or just one camera for with monitoring abilities and the rest standalone.

this would be fairly trival project if you weren't looking for an IP based off the shelf setup

Sector7G

n3wb
Reaction score
It would be a good idea to determine if the event is caused by animals or by trespassers.

I was planning on putting 1 solar panel on top of the outhouse roof + battery in the outhouse, which happens to be in a central location, then run power from that 1 battery to each camera.

I already have 2 100w solar panels and 2 batteries and 2 charge controllers. a bunch of 2x18 gauge wiring for power.

I didn't think putting wifi signal in the open area (sure there is a few trees) would be that big a deal.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
inside the same room its a big deal, wifi just shit.. if you got wires for power.. uh, run network cables.. you can go 300y easy with ethernet wires.

Sector7G

n3wb
Reaction score
But therein lies the issue where I dont want the cables leading back to the NVR.

1 camera gets seen.... Boom, they all get discovered

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have the cables terminate at a PoE switch and make the run to the NVR excessively misleading.

yodai

n3wb
Reaction score
Couldn't somone find the cameras just by using their smartphone camera at night?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, any other camera sensitive to IR will make even the most well hidden security cameras stand out like a sore thumb..

and I am not following the logic how running wires to provide power will make it less likely to find them than running a network cable thats also providing power will.. nothing is wireless in this situation, you have to run wires for power somehow.. so everything is traceable.. if you burry the wires, well then it becomes very difficult.

Sector7G

n3wb
Reaction score
Wires running power were only leading back to the battery not nvr.

So if the cameras were discovered, the recording would be on the nvr. Not stolen/destroyed cameras.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how is the NVR getting power? arent there lines going to have to go to it too? network cables can terminate at a switch as I pointed out.. put the switch at the battery and you have the same thing.

Sector7G

n3wb
Reaction score
Nvr is in a separate location getting power from a separate solar setup.

The plan is to put it in my Rv hidden behind a panel or wall or something. The batteries and panel on the roof. Since I already have a solar setup in my Rv.

I don't have the batteries on the roof yet, but I don't want to leave $400 worth of batteries in plain sight.

I think the roof will be safe, well as safe as I can think of.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
then do a point to point wireless bridge between your PoE switch at your main battery bank and your RV..

Sector7G

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, let me do some research into that.

I would need to check into the power requirements. Hopefully I can get it to work.

Thank you

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look at Ubiquiti gear, such as a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-0000070700985-NanoStation-loco-M5/dp/B004EHSV4W/

it will still require clear line of sight, and you'll want the 5GHz gear to provide enough bandwidth for HD video.. but it should be much easier to accomplish between these two locations than out to each camera.

also get cameras with onboard SD storage, so if the network is down or someone does start stealing stuff.. any cameras they dont find will have recordings on them.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sector7G

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you happen to know if a Poe switch uses more power than a non Poe switch and powering cameras direct?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any conversion losses are basically going to be moot, unless all your cameras are really close to the battery it'll actually be more efficient to boost the voltages to 48v before transmission than otherwise.

for example, inputting 12W (1A) of 12V into a 450' 18awg wire is going to give you ~6v out the other end, basically a 50% loss (hint this wont power a camera).. if you send the same power over the same lines at the same distance, however at 48V (12W = .25A) you'll only see a 3% loss, and get 46V out the other end.

so transmitting it as 48VDC PoE is always more efficient than direct 12VDC over any distance, tis the nature of direct current.. unless you wanna spend a fortune on copper, boost the voltages before going farther than a few yards.

Last edited by a moderator:

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't you just harden the nvr to the point it will be very difficult to steal? Or hide a camera with Sim card to get good face shots of whomever takes the nvr

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Sector7G

n3wb
Reaction score
I could put it in a metal box somewhere welded or bolted, but I would need to have more solar panels, batteries, and charge controllers. Since I have this in the Rv already, it helps keep costs down.

Who's to say they don't bring there own cutting torch? You just never know.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk