Adding a Second HDD to Optiplex 7040 MT

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pictures for future reference would help future users. ;)

Best to install BI on the 2.5 ssd, along with the operating system and the BI data base.

Nothing but video recorded to the 3.5" spinning drives.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll make that change. A couple of questions: Is the BI Db folder not created during BI install? Is the BI Db a separate item I need to purchase?

tbcollins

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, the drive is installed, initialized, and is formatted. I removed the DVD drive. I removed the original 2.5" HDD and its caddy. I removed the 2.5" drive from the caddy and placed it loose where the DVD drive was and reconnected the original power and data cables. I installed the new 6TB where the caddy had been. The caddy is a 3.5" form factor so the 6TB fit right in. I connected the DVD data cable to the 6TB drive and the other end to the unused MoBo SATA connector. I connected one of the unused power connectors to the 6TB drive for power. Gotta make sure none of the rerouted cables interfere with the CPU fan. Installed the 1Gb Dual NIC card. BI is installed on the 6TB drive and seems to execute ok. Next is to connect the 8-port PoE switch and make a test cat6 cable for my new camera. Getting close. :)Edit: I moved BI to the boot drive and the 6TB is dedicated to just data.
How did you get the 2nd HDD (6 TB) to show all 6 TB? I plugged mine in (same Optiplex 7040 sff) and only 49.9 GB show available. What am I missing?