Add 4G Camera to NVR

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how can you add a camera to an NVR if it is not on the local network?
When a POE camera is plugged into a POE port of a POE NVR, the NVR places that cam on a private network to isolate it from the LAN and the Internet.

You can give a IP camera a unique, static IP in a chosen private subnet, such as 192.168.1.XXX, and connect it via a POE switch that is connected to the NVR's LAN; the NVR's LAN should also have a unique, static IP in the same subnet as the IP camera.

techpros

n3wb
Reaction score
When a POE camera is plugged into a POE port of a POE NVR, the NVR places that cam on a private network to isolate it from the LAN and the Internet.

You can give a IP camera a unique, static IP in a chosen private subnet and connect it via a POE switch that is connected to the NVR's LAN; the NVR's LAN should also have a unique, static IP in the same subnet as the IP camera.
Hi. Thanks for the response. I understand that on a private network, no problem. But what if it is a stand alone camera connecting to the internet over the 4G network. There is no LAN. Can you use P2P for example to add to the camera to an NVR?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, you’ll probably have to use p2p. As you said you have no lan to work with and cellular ips charge constantly. Once it’s online just enter serial into nvr camera list/manually add.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no way of testing, but I would think so. Interesting. Please do update us

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One thing to consider is data, truly unlimited cellular plan or compress the crap out of it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for the response. I understand that on a private network, no problem. But what if it is a stand alone camera connecting to the internet over the 4G network. There is no LAN. Can you use P2P for example to add to the camera to an NVR?
My bad. By "local network" I thought the NVR was POE and was on site with the cam and the cam was not POE....got it now (duh). :screwy:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Definitely doable, this guy has about 100 cameras over 8 sites around KC that I have piped into his “command center!” Those displays cycle through every 5 seconds. A few were cellular routers to nvrs and a couple were cellular cams. IMG_D3CE0950.jpegIMG_0162.jpeg

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are two ways to do this.
1. The cell carrier can assign an IP address to the sim card. This is usually an added cost. Then you would just put in the IP address, port number, user name and password when adding to the NVR.
2. Make sure camera and NVR are the same manufacturer and is compatible. If so then you will be able to add it in without IP address. On Hikvision units it is called ISUP/OTAP. I would assume Dahua has a similar feature.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We've got some locations that are hard to get power to, so we want to go with 4G, solar cameras. IPC-HFW2431DG-4G-SP-EAU-B - Dahua CEE Region (dahuasecurity.com). I know these can take an SD card for recording, but how can you add a camera to an NVR if it is not on the local network?
Modern Dahua NVR's (like 5xxx-EI) have capability to add cams over P2P.
Enable P2P on 4G cam, put any internet SIM card (best without public IP to hide cam), copy cam serial number (from P2P menu).
Then do MANUAL add on NVR UI (web or HDMI), change type from PRIVATE to REGISTER (if I remember name correctly), cam IP address will be replaced by serial number field where You put cam P2P serial number... fill user & password, click add, should work..

Aaron222

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, can someone advise me on how it is possible to live stream multiple cameras onto a private website and app. The cameras will be at different locations many miles apart, they will have to be LTE, solar/battery back up powered, no Poe. Is this possible and if so how?