9700F vs 6700

Reaction score
Hello, I have a chance to change to a newer pc with better specs. My current computer has an I7-6700. The newer computer has an I7-9700F. Being that the newer machine doesn't have Quick Sync is it worth it to make the change? I use the machine for Home Assistant as well as Blue Iris. I figured newer is better but maybe not in this case. If it is not a significant improvement I don't know that it would be worth all the hassle of trying to move everything over.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 6th gen is still a great machine and was the goto until the requirements for Win11 came out.

I'd say run with it until you need to replace.

With substreams now a thing, Quick Sync isn't needed anymore. In many cases, the CPU% to offload the video to the Intel GPU is more than the savings by using it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I have a chance to change to a newer pc with better specs. My current computer has an I7-6700. The newer computer has an I7-9700F. Being that the newer machine doesn't have Quick Sync is it worth it to make the change? I use the machine for Home Assistant as well as Blue Iris. I figured newer is better but maybe not in this case. If it is not a significant improvement I don't know that it would be worth all the hassle of trying to move everything over.
Check your system utilization ..

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally, if changing over isn’t going to cost much I’d change over to the newer CPU.

With substreams, hardware acceleration isn’t needed as much as it used to be with so you should be fine with the newer CPU.

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. I received the newer PC for free from a client so from a hardware perspective it would be free. The only thing would be my time trying to get everything moved over and setup. I have a total of 6 cameras but usually only have 3 on 24/7. I have noticed the CPU ramping up in blue iris to around 60% when it is trying to identify objects on my current machine. I use deep stack for object detection. I briefly switched to code project but for some reason it was eating up so many resources after the switch that the computer wasn't really useable so I switched back as I didn't feel like messing with it at the time.

Sounds like it is worthwhile to make the switch. Thanks again.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be worth building anew on the new PC and get CP working?

You can always export your settings from the old and import into the new whilst running the new in eval mode.

Then when ready to make the switch, deactivate the BI license on the old and activate on the new.

The only thing to take into consideration is if you currently have an active Support plan then you can go to the latest version, if your support has expired then you can only install versions up to when your support plan expired.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. I received the newer PC for free from a client so from a hardware perspective it would be free. The only thing would be my time trying to get everything moved over and setup. I have a total of 6 cameras but usually only have 3 on 24/7. I have noticed the CPU ramping up in blue iris to around 60% when it is trying to identify objects on my current machine. I use deep stack for object detection. I briefly switched to code project but for some reason it was eating up so many resources after the switch that the computer wasn't really useable so I switched back as I didn't feel like messing with it at the time.

Sounds like it is worthwhile to make the switch. Thanks again.
Free is great !!

Reaction score
One more question, sorry pretty new to all this. The new machine has an nvidia p1000 in it. Should I run deepstack/code project in GPU mode instead of CPU?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There have been more issues people have posted about with the GPU versus CPU version so I would try CPU first.

Or more importantly is do your cams have AI built in and you could use that instead?