9 cam job. Hikvision VS Longse

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 9 cam job and would like to get feedback on these companies. They seem to have similar priced cameras. What company would you go with?

Looking for great budget / bang for buck company for medium quality IP cameras.

8 of the 9 Rooms are 13X13 with 8 foot ceilings. What lens is good for a 90 degree angle? ( ie. put camera in corner of room and get full room coverage )

* Image of Longse cam I like
longse-fav.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are installing these for a third party and need a solid camera look at the hikvision/dahua turrets with a 2.8mm lens.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Like fenderman said, definitely Hikvision or Dahua. One of Longse's only strengths (besides price) is that they have a few good low-light cameras. In most other aspects, but most especially their reliability, Dahua and Hikvision are much better. For a job for a 3rd party you definitely want the cameras to be reliable, or else your client is unhappy and you are repeatedly going back and replacing cameras.

2.8mm lenses from either Hikvision or Dahua deliver about a 90 degree field of view, making them great for small to medium sized rooms. Lately I have preferred Dahua, but this is more for political reasons than anything else. Hikvision makes good cameras too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EFAP9SI <-- here is Dahua's 4MP turret, which I recently had my brother buy three of for a business he works part-time at. This particular link is for a 2.8mm lens. Note you can get them about 30% cheaper from aliexpress, but you'll wait a while for delivery whereas the one I linked is fulfilled by amazon so it ships fast (assuming they have enough of them in stock).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
For personal use I am not stuck on one particular brand and Longse is really a "great bang for your buck". Image quality is great depending on the configuration you pick and Varifocal options they now offer are a nice touch. But firmware is kind of very limited and not without issues, looks like they are more interested in pushing new hardware then improving firmware.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. More than helpful advice. I will research Dahua / Hikvision cams as well.