5.9.11+ and Dahua 4MP cams

kumar2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That option doesn't seem to do anything on cams using the IVS system. That's why I need the digital input option checked. The ONVIF option does nothing in my setup and does not seem impact CPU use whether checked or not. Thanks though.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No offense, but I feel like my info isn't getting understood. Everything was working very smoothly until I updated to versions that came out the last couple of weeks.
Numerous folks, including me, have had certain cameras suddenly develop problems, sometimes after an update. No apparent reason. Typically, the fix for me has involved, 1. Restart camera in BI. 2. Reboot camera. 3. Delete and re-add camera to BI. 3. Reset camera to BI from scratch. 4. Factory reset camera. 5. Go back to stable BI version.

I had a Dahua 5442 on the front of my house stop reporting ONVIF motion. No idea why. Nothing worked. I didn't want to reset to factory due to all the settings in the camera. As I was saving the setting screen shots, I did something, and it started working again. Cameras? BI? I don't know.

Cameras can have significantly different bit rates, and CPU utilization, depending on what is happening in the scene, particularly on the CPU with motion in BI enabled. Currently my five 4 MP cameras range between 760 - 1040 kB/s. So 37% range for the same basic information. Different scenes, different levels of motion, etc. cause these differences. I still say the 157 kB/s is too low and there is either n issue, or its looking at a very blank scene.

kumar2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the 157 kB/sec camera was on variable bitrate and a tight angle scene that doesn't change much. Hence the low rate when I captured that. I played around with different encoding options and bitrates and while they did impact image quality they did not impact CPU usage much. These two cams are only using their built-in IVS for triggering, so BI's motion detection is not active. Nor is any AI running post camera output. The built-in IVS AI is working very well for me in these locations.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Im running 5.4.7.11 @Home and 5.4.6.3 at work. not using deepstack. hasn't sounded like a mature product yet. I cannot spend anytime at work monkeying with BI. It has to just work. Right now it does.
So I'm not changing anything at this point.

Last edited:

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you might want to think about dropping the cams back down to h264 - As I recall Intel hardware support for h265/HEVC was not added until the 6th Gen Intel chips - Ignore this if you have a discrete GPU performing the HA.

kumar2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here, but doesn't direct to disk avoid re-encoding of the video streams? The acceleration would then only used in BI when transcoding (web playback, exporting etc). In any case, I tested switching the two cams to H.264 and it had a negligible impact for normal operation. All of my cams use direct to disk. To perhaps clarify, I'm not talking about CPU use during these decode situations. I'm talking while the service is just monitoring and recording the streams.

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here, but doesn't direct to disk avoid re-encoding of the video streams? The acceleration would then only used in BI when transcoding (web playback, exporting etc). In any case, I tested switching the two cams to H.264 and it had a negligible impact for normal operation. All of my cams use direct to disk. To perhaps clarify, I'm not talking about CPU use during these decode situations. I'm talking while the service is just monitoring and recording the streams.
If you have any form of motion detection in BI then even though the data is writen direclty to disk the frames have to be decoded to check for changes in pixels for the motion detection.

kumar2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So first, I have said repeatedly, the cams I'm having this issue with are NOT using BI motion detection. Second, I've tested switching to h.264 many times and it had a negligible impact on CPU usage under normal circumstances on my antiquated CPU. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

dz93

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried deleting the camera and readding it? I've updated to newer versions and had some cameras start to act funny and deleting the camera then readding it fixed the issue. You can even use the same settings but maybe leave it default first just to see if anything changed then add back your existing settings. Don't forget to backup the current camera settings so you can easily restore if you need to. Or maybe just disable that camera then add that same camera as a new camera. Then if the behavior hasn't changed you can just easily switch back to the existing camera by re enabling it.

Ultimately though, what is the purpose of upgrading beyond your most stable version? I don't think much has been added since that version that would even be of benefit to you. These more recent updates are basically just beta versions and it's almost expected that you're going to experience some issues as the updates come out. Just wait until some new major feature release that you think you might use and upgrade then. Stay on whatever version is the most stable for you for now.

kumar2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, that's my plan for now. At some point I'll upgrade the machine, but don't have time right now and computer parts are a bit crazy at the moment. Probably upgrade my gaming rig and use the old one for BI. I'm mainly interested in the improvements they are making with AI (Deepstack) for my cams without it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you’re using IVSon the cams there won’t really be that much to configure for the cam in BI will there? So shouldn’t take too long to try a delete and recreate.

kumar2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I discovered something that seems to be related to or causing my issue. I had these two cams posting 640x480 pics to the www folder once per second so I could monitor them without launching the app. On the older versions of BI this did increase CPU usage slightly, but not to the extreme extent that the latest version does. When I enable that on other cams I get the same result so it's not the cameras. It does seem like a potential bug or issue in BI though so I've reported it to the support team. I run BI on an SSD drive FYI since I'm sure someone will say I should do that. I've since disabled the saves as they are not critical, and my average CPU usage with 8 cams active is around 15%!

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, I discovered something that seems to be related to or causing my issue. I had these two cams posting 640x480 pics to the www folder once per second so I could monitor them without launching the app. On the older versions of BI this did increase CPU usage slightly, but not to the extreme extent that the latest version does. When I enable that on other cams I get the same result so it's not the cameras. It does seem like a potential bug or issue in BI though so I've reported it to the support team. I run BI on an SSD drive FYI since I'm sure someone will say I should do that. I've since disabled the saves as they are not critical, and my average CPU usage with 8 cams active is around 15%!
Interesting. I've been trying to track down why my CPU utilization was running higher lately.

I have snapshots (5 seconds interval) that I use as a desktop background slideshow. I disabled them and my CPU utilization now idles around 16% (UI3 console open) with a 10% jump when DS (GPU) kicks off.

Good find!

It'll be interesting to hear what support says.

Quick update, changing the interval to 10 seconds seems to have kept it low.

Last edited: