5.5.7.3 / Gmail Oauth in general

Rick Smith

n3wb
Reaction score
Prior to the 5.5.7 release I was using gmail with relaxed restrictions to send notifications to e-mail/cell.
After upgrading to the new release that supports Gmail OAUTH I attempted to switch my alerts to OAUTH and I receive the following error when using Gmail OAUTH to send to an SMS destination (Google Fi).

SMS: SMTP Connect failed (1).

The strange thing is that I can set up a new alert to use Gmail OAUTH and send e-mail to my cell phone using NNNNNNNNNN@msg.fi.google.com and it works fine.
I think something in the update has broken the SMS alert type when Gmail OAUTH is enabled (and perhaps only to Goofle Fi destination, I cannot test others).

Thanks,
Rick

dchaos

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed the same exact issue and switched back to app password. Emails come through fine, but not SMS/MMS, same error.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Prior to the 5.5.7 release I was using gmail with relaxed restrictions to send notifications to e-mail/cell.
After upgrading to the new release that supports Gmail OAUTH I attempted to switch my alerts to OAUTH and I receive the following error when using Gmail OAUTH to send to an SMS destination (Google Fi).

SMS: SMTP Connect failed (1).

The strange thing is that I can set up a new alert to use Gmail OAUTH and send e-mail to my cell phone using NNNNNNNNNN@msg.fi.google.com and it works fine.
I think something in the update has broken the SMS alert type when Gmail OAUTH is enabled (and perhaps only to Goofle Fi destination, I cannot test others).

Thanks,
Rick
My Gmail "less secure login" stopped working on May 8th. I was using it to send backup SMS text and pic of alert. I have not tried the Oauth yet. I did set up my bogus Gmail account with 2FA and set an App password for BI. I now reliably receive all sms alerts with pics from BI. Unlike a lot of other people that have had delayed messages from their carrier, I have not had any issue with using Google ProjectFi on my Pixel phone. Knock on wood. The main carrier they use is TMobile. This is how I have BI email server and alerts set up. Make sure you set up your Google App password from your BI server.

Use the App password you set up from your Gmail account.
1652887431631.png

Camera/Alert/SMS setup. I use SMS w/ pic as redundancy when I am away from home. I set quality low to reduce message length in case I am in an area with marginal internet connection. I say redundancy, because I use BI push as main alert with a different tone for each camera.
1652887544518.png

Rick Smith

n3wb
Reaction score
I am certainly able to use normal Gmail set up and send to Google FI SMS.
What I was saying is that if I choose to use GMAIL OAUTH which is now the preferred method, SMS Alerts do not go through while e-mail alerts work fine.
My workaround was to just go ahead and set up an e-mail alert to NNNNNNNNNN@msg.fi.google.com where the NNNNNNNNNN is my phone number.

Rick

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I was a little curious about this too as I get the same message from Blue Iris:

1652914682815.png

I can tell you that some time ago someone advised to enable ALLOW LESS SECURE APPS on your Google Account to overcome this. However, I see there's a deadline coming up regarding this Google setting. I can send an SMS email (PhoneNumber@mms.att.net) directly from a Gmail account without issue but then again, it's coming directly though the imap.gmail.com server using OAuth2 rather than the smtp.gmail.com server which BI uses.

Push notifications to my Android phone seem to be a better solution. You need the Blue Iris Android app to take full advantage of the push notification though...but at least push notifications seem to consistently provide an alert to your phone regardless. I've had issues with SMS emails in the past (AT&T) and I thought it was possibly that AT&T was limiting the number of SMS emails (might be flagged as spam when a lot of them come through). I should note that regular email alerts (not SMS email) work fine using the smtp.gmail.com server....it's something about PhoneNumber@mms.att.net that's not reliable for me.

1652914820658.png

Last edited:

dchaos

n3wb
Reaction score
I use the MMS to ensure delivery of the alerts just in case there's an issue with the app alert, or if in a poor service area. The emails work, so not sure why the MMS/SMS wouldn't.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the MMS to ensure delivery of the alerts just in case there's an issue with the app alert, or if in a poor service area. The emails work, so not sure why the MMS/SMS wouldn't.
The emails work, but the MMS/SMS message is sent from that same email account out of BI and many mobile providers SPAM algorithms are deleting/delaying text messages that are not sent from a human. Somehow these are coded as coming from a machine without human involvement (like a bot attack) and get caught up in the mobile provider SPAM algorithms. And some people have a lot of alerts coming out of BI that will then flag it as well.

Hopefully this change by gmail will end up allowing them to come thru uninterrupted.

dchaos

n3wb
Reaction score
The emails work, but the MMS/SMS message is sent from that same email account out of BI and many mobile providers SPAM algorithms are deleting/delaying text messages that are not sent from a human. Somehow these are coded as coming from a machine without human involvement (like a bot attack) and get caught up in the mobile provider SPAM algorithms. And some people have a lot of alerts coming out of BI that will then flag it as well.

Hopefully this change by gmail will end up allowing them to come thru uninterrupted.
Yeah ATT had issues a while with that, with the the app passwords I have had zero issues 99% of the time, up until now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah ATT had issues a while with that, with the the app passwords I have had zero issues 99% of the time, up until now.
Probably their algorithms are detecting a change that it doesn't like. Call the mobile provider and complain. They will never admit it, but many suspect they can flag an email as not SPAM to let it thru. They will simply tell you it must have started working again.

dchaos

n3wb
Reaction score
Probably their algorithms are detecting a change that it doesn't like. Call the mobile provider and complain. They will never admit it, but many suspect they can flag an email as not SPAM to let it thru. They will simply tell you it must have started working again.
It's Blue Iris that isn't sending the messages like mentioned above, nothing to do with my provider. They come through just fine using the app password method vs OAuth.