4K TV's dropping in price

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a amazing that only a few months ago, 4K TV's costs thousands, not a 50" for $429 with free shipping, wow. The 39" version is $329. Would likely make awesome CCTV monitors, watch 4 1080P streams at full resolution.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00BXF7I9M?tag=tbprod-20

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been watching this space. I'm a magnet for hi-resolution screens and have absolutely hated the last half decade or so with the proliferation of crappy TN panels and how manufacturers crawled back to 720p being "HD". So I welcome the new race to 4k. I can see a 4k IPS panel in my near future ;)

The only thing I've learned recently, with the couple NVR trials and the NUC is that it takes a lot of CPU cycles for live viewing of multiple streams. So, until some of that load gets resolved, it may be a tough call to put 9 or so LIVE HD streams on a 4k display.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like the drop was temporary, at least below $500 :sad2:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt you will have much trouble live viewing at 4k if you can do it already at 1080p. Decoding the video is the hard part - scaling it to fit the screen is relatively easy for the computer.

My brother has had one of the 39 inch versions since last December (about the time its price dropped to $500) and while the resolution is impressive, the image quality is the worst I have seen in years. The input lag and 30hz refresh rate at 4k resolution makes it painful to use interactively. We put the firmware from the 50 inch version on it as that is reported to reduce the input lag, and it improved, but it is still painful to use. Still, at a price of $339 it is hard to turn down if you know a thing or two about display calibration and want a better live view screen for multiple HD cameras.

FYI the 50 inch version may only be temporarily up $547 right now -- it was $429 for the last 17 days according to http://camelcamelcamel.com/Seiki-SE50UY04-50-Inch-120Hz-HDTV/product/B00BXF7I9M?utm_campaign=chrome_ext&utm_source=&utm_medium=camelizer