4.4.7 - October 27, 2016 - H.265 cameras are supported via RTSP

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I only see H.265 being useful for sending footage at a comparatively low bitrate to h.264, as h.265 requires a bit more CPU utilization to encode upfront. So in terms of blue iris being an already CPU thirsty piece of software, I'm probably going to stay with h.264 for a while.

H.265: Here's the Good News, the Bad News, and What to Expect - Streaming Media Magazine

If anyone just has an idea for resolution degradation of stored footage over time (I have special requirements to store video for long periods of time, but still wish to have the last week in 1080p res) that is something that could help my operation run smoother:)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
@ItechashardasIcanbro I think the hard part would be finding a batch conversion tool that supports .bvr format. libav is open source and used by Handbrake so DropFolders might be handy if someone could be convinced to add .bvr. If you're willing to drop .bvr recording then it'd probably be a lot easier.

Watch Folders & Convert Video Files with DropFolders & HandBrake

You might be able to do some fiddling with this idea and get a scripted batch convert to work for you- How to view a BVR file (converted to mkv)

You might need a small server farm to keep up with conversion of many cameras' worth of 24/7 recording regardless of how you do it though. Betcha that'd burn CPU cycles like nobody's business...

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@ItechashardasIcanbro I think the hard part would be finding a batch conversion tool that supports .bvr format. libav is open source and used by Handbrake so DropFolders might be handy if someone could be convinced to add .bvr. If you're willing to drop .bvr recording then it'd probably be a lot easier.

Watch Folders & Convert Video Files with DropFolders & HandBrake

You might be able to do some fiddling with this idea and get a scripted batch convert to work for you- How to view a BVR file (converted to mkv)

You might need a small server farm to keep up with conversion of many cameras' worth of 24/7 recording regardless of how you do it though. Betcha that'd burn CPU cycles like nobody's business...
Yeah this Build is getting a bit intense as it is....... with 46 24/7 cameras having to be stored for 45 days minimum, what do you expect?

Well, you can expect (2) 6700k's and a budget that is going to add to my technical career:D'

BTW huge thanks for the lead of conversions, handbrake + dropfolders seems to be viable automators for resolution degradation and storage, I will look into it:))

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Weed farm? Bill 'em for a NAS. A BIG one... The ease, reliability, and stability of a NAS would outweigh the complexity and consequences of a crash in your conversion system. Maybe use 720p (that's painful to even say though, let alone do) for overview cams and 1080P for ID and entryway cams. Not sure what their FPS and therefore bitrate and storage requirements are, but dropping the bitrate to match a lower FPS while still retaining good quality on a moving target that almost fills the screen is a good way to increase storage capacity. It's easy to go too low on bitrate when looking at a static image but then targets can go all blocky when an actual moving person enters the FOV.

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This system is required to meet I-502 standards, but is not a weed farm:). I like the idea of a NAS, but I could see it restricting the use of the "Direct to Disk" function found in BI. I am very worried about the amount of cameras I need though (about 60 in total), and I am fine with 10 FPS 720p on general areas, with 1080p 12-15 fps on high priority zones. Would 2 6700k's do it??

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know. I'm tempted to say I think so but I've never done a 30 cam install regardless of CPU. There's a few threads on here with examples of what people have run successfully but offhand I don't remember any with cam counts and framerate requirements that high.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The big trick for low CPU utilization is offloading the processing to the cameras and just manage/record streams and motion alerts that they generate. Milestone would do something like that but then you're paying significant bucks/camera for licensing. I'd look into cameras that BI supports using the cam's onboard motion and alarm inputs and turning off the BI motion sensor. Also use a time server to sync the cameras' time so D2D won't give you 60 different time stamps. Look at the Milestone review running on an Intel Nuc on networkcameracritic.com. It compares BI and Milestone on a Nuc but he doesn't mention BI options that he tweaked to reduce CPU consumption. Probably none to make his point a bit more obvious, plus not as many were available in BI back then. That review isn't exactly recent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The big trick for low CPU utilization is offloading the processing to the cameras and just manage/record streams and motion alerts that they generate. Milestone would do something like that but then you're paying significant bucks/camera for licensing. I'd look into cameras that BI supports using the cam's onboard motion and alarm inputs and turning off the BI motion sensor. Also use a time server to sync the cameras' time so D2D won't give you 60 different time stamps. Look at the Milestone review running on an Intel Nuc on networkcameracritic.com. It compares BI and Milestone on a Nuc but he doesn't mention BI options that he tweaked to reduce CPU consumption. Probably none to make his point a bit more obvious, plus not as many were available in BI back then. That review isn't exactly recent.
That review is very old with bi3 before hardware acceleration...there are several threads here that discuss milestone and its does not seem as light as something like exacq ...though milestone is free for 8 cams. Also since this is an h.265 thread, milestone does not support h.265 in its cheaper versions...you need corporate or expert.