2nd Amendment thread

Reaction score
When I lived in Northern VA (Retired out of Quantico) the state charged military $40 (iirc) and you received you permit to conceal carry. Now, again, I had 21 years of sleeping with, carry, humping, shooting, qualifying, and CLEANING (did I say cleaning?) a pistol/rifle. Although I did conceal carry, I was not aware of the local laws, which would have been beneficial if I had to actually draw my pistol. However, and Thank GOD, I never had to. I was also raised around and brought up with guns...all types.

When we moved back to Texas in 2012, I was shocked that I had to go thru a course and pay a fee before I could conceal carry. Can't lie, it really did piss me off. Regardless, my license was still good in Texas from Virginia (gray area according to the local police). But I still carried.

The difference is that I see a firearm and TRULY look at it exactly how I would a bush, hammer, car, rock, etc. Just an object to me, but I damn well fully know what it can or cannot do.

That is why I made the comment about 'I hope they receive good, quality instruction' as I am reasonably sure, MOST teachers do not want to carry, do not want to own a gun, do not even ever want to shoot one. Now, I could be wrong, but bet I am not.

So yes, bigredfish, I do agree that most people do need some type of training...in-depth training as well. Just like I have started teaching (have been) my daughters firearm lessons. Knowledge is the rule, and there can never, ever be enough of it. IMO

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That’s the only concern I have with permitless carry.

As a former instructor I used to see a lot of dumb shit in our entry level/CWL classes. Not everyone should carry a gun. Personal responsibility is the foundation of many of our laws and the number/percentage of the population who value and understand that concept has dropped to dangerous levels.

That said, I get the whole Constitutional carry thing, but frankly our society has sunk so low that I still think some formal training (not just range time but legal/ethics classroom education) should be a requirement. Just like a drivers license.

Unlike the 2 hour certificate mills, our entry CWL course was 4 hours classroom and 4 hours range time with a qual. We charged $150 while the certificate mills charged $40 and basically walked you through how to fill out and submit the application :rolleyes:
we had Drivers ED in High School .. should probably bring back that if your state no longer has it, and throw in a quick gun safety instruction.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hope they receive good, quality instruction.

View attachment 191929

Training or not, I am sure some teachers couldn’t hit a semi if it was 10’ in front of them. But, for any looser democrat freak kid who is considering shooting a school up will more than likely be having second thoughts on shooting a school up if he/she/it knows that there is a potential of having armed teachers on staff.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Training or not, I am sure some teachers couldn’t hit a semi if it was 10’ in front of them. But, for any looser democrat freak kid who is considering shooting a school up will more than likely be having second thoughts on shooting a school up if he/she/it knows that there is a potential of having armed teachers on staff.
The High School in the small town where I live has signs stating their teachers are packing...Gun Education starts at home here...at a young age...

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The High School in the small town where I live has signs stating their teachers are packing...Gun Education starts at home here...at a young age...
The school my kids go to has armed teachers. They make it very well known too that staff is armed.

My kids both carry knives on them all the time, I guess almost every high schooler and middle schooler has at least one knife on them. The school doesn’t care and is ok with it

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The school my kids go to has armed teachers. They make it very well known too that staff is armed.

My kids both carry knives on them all the time, I guess almost every high schooler and middle schooler has at least one knife on them. The school doesn’t care and is ok with it
This works in a small town or small school, pretty much everyone here knows most everyone. In a big city school where people move around and come from different states/cities even countries, I can see where problems would arise. I grew up in a large city school. Never saw any problems with guns, even with guns displayed on gun racks in back windows of trucks. We would have someone pull out a knife in a fight but never actually stab anyone. Don't get me wrong, we had plenty of mischief in our school.

I don't know, there was just a respect for guns when I grew up. We just feared our parents back then. Not fear like one would think today, like I just would not want to disappoint them or dishonor the family name type of fear...Like our fear of God, it is a good fear...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Mattel Toy

Either I saw it here or posted elsewhere (duh) but lets just say the new military 'rifle' does not impress me at all. I guess gun snobs will love it because it is a 'Sig' I have my own reasons, but time will tell. And because it is a
'Sig' I am sure the taxpayer will be jammed for it.

1713211100460.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Todays good news!