2432 was lost signal after ~12 hours

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 2432 I got (used) was great and I was getting perfect signal via wifi (signal was 89%) with 20fps @ 3mp...

I just realized now that (when I woke up) the signal had gone down to less than 1fps... BI shows it at 197 signal loss. bitrate is at 90
what gives? any suggestions???

running on firmware 5.1.0 chinese I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wire it into ethernet, I bet you the problem goes away entirely.

WiFi sucks (for IPCameras), no such thing as a perfect signal.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is your bitrate set to? Try lowering the bitrate if you must use wireless.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fenderman, been doing some analyzing while I had this up. I think it's my wireless network. my router is sending out a very weak signal all of a sudden (not sure why) but I believe that's the cause. This is why wired is way to go. I really wish these cameras had 5ghz band on them too, because there is nobody on it in my community and I'm the only one who uses it. 2.4ghz is just too busy with way too many signals :(

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Give it time. 5 ghz WiFi is already available on just about every new phone, tablet, laptop, and midrange or better access point sold in the past couple years. Maybe some day RF-shielded outer walls on homes will be a major selling point.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe some day RF-shielded outer walls on homes will be a major selling point.
I highly doubt it, people are quite fond of there cell phones..

Metallic Window tint in cars was pretty much abandoned because it RF Shielded the inside of the car and nobody could make calls... before cell phones it was popular high end luxury window tint.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hah. In my area cell signal is so bad you basically can't use it indoors anyway unless you have a femtocell. (e.g. AT&T microcell or Verizon network extender)

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've gone nuts over this today. Not just my ipcamera, but my 2.4ghz band in general...

I've been getting 3.5mb up on that band via my router. I had this happen before, and now it's back. I just ordered a Asus RT-N66R from best buy that I'm gonna pick up in a few....

This router has been driving me nuts for a year now, so I guess it's time. 5ghz is alright... it's the 2ghz that's been annoying me (especially in our area where it's busy) I need the wifi for things like the TVs in bedrooms, nest, tivo etc...

I mean hell, the camera is like 20-30 feet away! lol

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing that saves 5GHz is it dont penetrate well, so your neighbors signal wont be as powerful in your house.. but of course that means if you got a larger house you need more access points spread out and tuned appropriately to maintain performance.

put everything you can on 5GHz, try to name your 5GHz network separate name from your 2.4GHz network so you can force devices onto that.. They will always see the 2.4GHz network at a stronger signal and almost never choose the 5G network otherwise.

wire up everything you can, I need a 5GHz chromecast like nobody' business.. and its like 6ft from a celling mount access point in middle of living room, still times where video playback is unwatchable. Fortunately I can configure my outdoor WiFi to kick the chromecast off of it when it tries to ignore the access point right infront of it and go for the one 150' away.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok here's whats so crazy...

I have a new router with great signal. everything was working just fine (like last night) until now both cameras I have are getting single digit FPSs again... especially the geeya which has always been great wired (20+ fps) is barely getting 8 now.

the 2432 which was under wifi and doing great is also not getting above 10 fps.

and as I write this, both devices are getting 18+ fps then dropping back to single digits

I just have no idea what's going on here. new router, similar problems

I have a download speed of 2mbps on the 2.4ghz right now... no idea why

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well I got the PLA adapter coming in tomorrow. Hopefully it will do the trick...

still can't understand why the wired camera (the geeya) gave me problems though. It was happening concurrent with the hik

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
were you viewing it on wired or wireless? if you were on wireless you'd also be getting interference.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
were you viewing it on wired or wireless? if you were on wireless you'd also be getting interference.
you're right. it was wireless.... could have been the culprit

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's all kinds of stuff that communicates or operates on WiFi frequencies, and it all ends up as interference... even other things on your WiFi network, if its not talking to your device directly then your device has to ignore and compete with the other devices for throughput.. This is why putting cameras on Wifi is a bad idea, it wont scale at all and just trash the airwaves with garbage and all your other devices have to put up with it.

check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz

This is why 5GHz seems more solid, ontop of the additional speed theres less crap out there operating on it for starters.. Other than wifi the only devices I ever recall seeing operating on it were Wireless Analogue Video (fpv cams for rc cars/planes) and maybe some more expensive cordless phones (with bad reviews because they dont go as far)

in High Density living environment (dorms/apartments/etc) you are almost entirely screwed on 2.4GHz with the sheer number of devices within range.