24 port switch, unmanaged for cameras only 300w / who has the best? budget 300.00

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at this Cisco 2960S 48 Port Gigabit 370W PoE+ Switch WS-C2960S-48LPS-L. The thing looks like a monster. I got it for less than $100.
Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series Switches Data Sheet
Spec says it uses 70w at idle, unless you really need all those ports its costs you $175 a year just to run that switch at California rates.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a lighter duty Cisco running inthe garage tonight...I bagged the other two small 4 port dudes and fired up this one...Cisco Sg200-26 only 12 POE ports with a 100 watt budget....
looks like 36.8W max worst case scenario....

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Spec says it uses 70w at idle, unless you really need all those ports its costs you $175 a year just to run that switch at California rates.
Just wanted to add: this is not an exaggeration at all, and if you are using enough electricity to be bumped into "Tier 2" rates (most people do, for at least some of their usage), it could be up to $240 per year, just having this switch plugged in (not counting cameras).
I don't mind paying the electricity bill for devices that are doing real "work" for me like the cameras and BI computer, but wasted idle usage of that magnitude is unacceptable in my book.

Video1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wanted to add: this is not an exaggeration at all, and if you are using enough electricity to be bumped into "Tier 2" rates (most people do, for at least some of their usage), it could be up to $240 per year, just having this switch plugged in (not counting cameras).
I don't mind paying the electricity bill for devices that are doing real "work" for me like the cameras and BI computer, but wasted idle usage of that magnitude is unacceptable in my book.
Electricity is always a major consideration, especially in California. I'm still on NEM1 for a few more years. And with a medical baseline, I get an extra 500 kWh under Tier 1. Our home uses about 1300-1600 kWh per month, and that's including charging a Tesla. We have about 4 kW of solar on the roof.

My Hikvision NVR with only 16 ports, uses about 40 watts. I've already got two big switches, as every room in the house has CAT6. Right now I have 16 cameras. I plan on adding at least 4 more cameras - a couple more general view cams and an overview cam pointed towards the street with a LPR cam. The Cisco switch has 12 ports up to 30W, and 24 ports up to 15.4W. So this Cisco switch will use 35W more than my NVR does now. That's about $120 more per year than I'm paying now, but I'd have more capacity as well. Cameras need power. Either I run power to them at the installation site or I use a PoE switch.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to take back my comments on the switches from the last couple days.......looks like one of my nvr's is no longer illuminating the Link light for Gigabit on my Cisco GIgabit POE....
Amcrest 4108e HS only shows 10/100 link light....but the older Amcrest XVR is showing a 1Gig link light. swapped cables to confirm....swapped ports....swapped switches....
somethings wrong with its gigabit link

so all my results could be skewed......

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
All right so i linked/moved 2 IP cameras over to the Xvr to relieve pressure on the slower link NVR. now hopefully the web interface for the NVR will load a Camera GUI in a decent amount of time.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have to take back my comments on the switches from the last couple days.......looks like one of my nvr's is no longer illuminating the Link light for Gigabit on my Cisco GIgabit POE....
Amcrest 4108e HS only shows 10/100 link light....but the older Amcrest XVR is showing a 1Gig link light. swapped cables to confirm....swapped ports....swapped switches....
somethings wrong with its gigabit link

so all my results could be skewed......
I think the spec sheet for that nvr shows you only have a 10/100 nic, so don't chase a phantom thinking you can push 1gig through that port.

If you want a bit of help on your switch /camera deployment draw a sketch on how each cable is connected and what it's for.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought this on EBay BNIB for $95
16 port Poe+ 30watt/ 10/100, plus two gig ports and two SFP gig ports. Total 250 W PoE power budget

Video1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It may sound like a monster as well. ;)
It's going into my media closet that's sound isolated with door seals and everything else that goes with sound isolation. Also, most times you can replace a noisy fan with something less noisy. I do this on my QSC PA amps that I use as subwoofer amps.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It's going into my media closet that's sound isolated with door seals and everything else that goes with sound isolation. Also, most times you can replace a noisy fan with something less noisy. I do this on my QSC PA amps that I use as subwoofer amps.
You can also quieten the fan by simply putting a resistor inline with the positive supply to the fan. For these high end enterprise switches this isn’t the best or proper way as they use fan speed sense but it’s enough to reduce the top end whine of the fan so that you can no longer hear it unless within a few feet.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like there is a good choice for unmanaged switches made for cameras and maybe a phone or two. Everything is made in China now days with much of the same SOC and power supplies.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Could one of you recommend or post a link to an example of these used 'enterprise' poe switches? I don't need more than 8 cameras max.
I have a couple of recommendations.

First, the Brocade ICX series switches are very good. I think the ICX6450 24 port POE model would be an excellent option for you. Check out this thread on "Serve the Home" for more information than you could ever want regarding these switches. Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I run several Aruba S2500 POE switches myself. I bought them before that Brocade thread was started. Here is a thread on the Aruba switches. Aruba MAS series SFP+ & POE+ switches sub-$100