2231 vs 5231 and multiple substreams.

Reaction score
I'm torn between the Dahua 2231R-ZS and 5231. How important are multiple substreams in regular use?

I have a zwave smarthome setup that I can integrate the cameras into in addition to blueiris and would probably want to be able to remotely view on cell phone in case of alerts. Would the 2231 suffice?

Also regarding the IVS features if i'm using Blue Iris are they relevant, from what little I've read up the IVS features aren't really used with Blue Iris with Blue iris features coming into play instead.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's what the 5231 supports in regards to streams:
Main Stream: 1080P(1~50/60fps)
Sub Stream: D1(1~50/60fps)
Third Stream: 1080P(1~25/30fps)

The 2231 stream support is like this:
Main Stream: 1080P(1 ~ 25/30fps)
Sub Stream: D1(1 ~ 25/30fps)

Both cameras can have multiple devices connected to any of the streams. So if you want BI, your smart home setup, and you <connecting remotely directly to the camera> to all stream the Main Stream from your 2231 at the same time, that shouldn't be a problem. Although if you have BI, you'd almost always be connecting to BI to see alerts and live camera feeds.

The 5231 has that extra "full size" (1080P) third stream that could be setup with different encoding options from the Main Stream. I doubt many folks use it, but it's there if needed.

Reaction score
Thank you! I'll stick with the 2231 then. Save some money - just didn't want to skimp a little and get stuck down the road.

Any insight on the IVS feature differences? I read the specifics within the cameras but are they important with respect to Blue Iris handling that instead.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not important if you're using it with BI in r
Thank you! I'll stick with the 2231 then. Save some money - just didn't want to skimp a little and get stuck down the road.

Any insight on the IVS feature differences? I read the specifics within the cameras but are they important with respect to Blue Iris handling that instead.
They're good cams. Have several and the 5231 also. I don't see any difference in my day-to-day use. No mic on the 2231 if you need that. The cam's IVS features are independent of BI's detection. The 2231 does have some forms of event detection but in most normal circumstances you won't use either with BI.