2.5" Form Factor HDD?

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a small dilemma with my small case (Milo 11). I have to either use a shorter cooler on my processor, or switch from a 3.5" HDD to a 2.5" HDD. I was going to use a WD Purple 4TB. I really only need 2TB.

Should I choose a slightly less efficient cooler for my i5-12400? or should I switch to a 2.5" form factor hard disc?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most have had bad experiences with the 2.5" HDD for surveillance uses.

A 12th gen cpu and doing the optimizations would probably result in single digits CPU usage, thus the need for high efficiency cooler is probably not as great. Or you go with a better cooler and a 2.5" HDD that runs the CPU up to 100% trying to keep up LOL.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most have had bad experiences with the 2.5" HDD for surveillance uses.

A 12th gen cpu and doing the optimizations would probably result in single digits CPU usage, thus the need for high efficiency cooler is probably not as great. Or you go with a better cooler and a 2.5" HDD that runs the CPU up to 100% trying to keep up LOL.
Thanks for the info. I figured that was why WD doesn't make 2.5" drives in the Purple line. I'll go with the shorter cooler.

Reaction score
I'd definitely go with a a shorter cooler. I'm using an i5-12500 with a Noctua NH-L9x65 low-profile cooler. Works great. I also have two 1TB 2.5 drives, but those are only used with cameras that capture when motion is detected, which isn't very often, so are generally low use. No issues though.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd definitely go with a a shorter cooler. I'm using an i5-12500 with a Noctua NH-L9x65 low-profile cooler. Works great. I also have two 1TB 2.5 drives, but those are only used with cameras that capture when motion is detected, which isn't very often, so are generally low use. No issues though.
Yup. I went with the Noctua NH-L9i. System is completed.