Target Tracking with PTZ cameras

Reaction score
I guess this will be a bit of an intro, and a bit of question.
The Intro: I'm an IT guy, and generally pretty tech savy, pretty handy, and quick to pick up new things. My (small) church has asked me to help design and install a new security camera system. I've been doing a ton of research, reading, and watching of youtube. I'm grasping the DORI concepts and considering the most cost effective way to get the church what they need/want.

The question:
How does target tracking with a PTZ camera work if there are multiple targets? Lets say I have a PTZ mounted in a way to cover a large parkinglot, which is covered with several wide FOV cameras. I understand how I could setup the 'many' cameras to serve in the 'detect' and possilby even assist in the 'Observe', and how they can trigger the PTZ to the correct area to pickup the target, at which point it could zoom in to fill in the R & I parts of the spectrum. But what happens if 2 cars pull in? What happens if 3 people get out of a car and go in different directions? How does the PTZ figure out which ones to track? Links to additional reading greatly appreciated! Maybe there is a better or standard way to cover a large parking lot in the least expensive way?

Reaction score
It's been a while but you got no replies and this may be a waste, but I'll bite. Here's my educated opinion on how it could work out. Keep in mind almost everything you're thinking carries monitoring and subscription fees.

"I'm an IT guy, and generally pretty tech savy, pretty handy, and quick to pick up new things."

You may find yourself a mountain climber after this is all said and done, the curve can be quite steep and craggy.

"I'm grasping the DORI concepts."

If you mean target designation, recognition and observation then the following requirement is a hard point.

"considering the most cost effective way to get the church what they want."

Why, is there a problem with theft/vandalism or is this paranoia? What is considered 'cost effective'

"How does target tracking with a PTZ camera work if there are multiple targets?"

Prioritization by algorithmic analysis of behavior or recognition from past designation of threat actors.

"Lets say I have a PTZ mounted in a way to cover a large parking lot, which is covered with several wide FOV cameras..."

'Two is one and one is none'. Make sure your PTZ has a buddy, unless you don't mind missing that angle that helped stop or catch an event.

"But what happens if 2 cars pull in? What happens if 3 people get out of a car and go in different directions? How does the PTZ figure out which ones to track?"

Proximity. Who is closest to something important. The building, outbuildings, etc... there may or may not be algorithms that are pre-made that can be baked into your firmware/software? Think "detection zones" like cheap home systems but more intuitive and with human-eye confirmation and monitoring if it is desired.

Have a good one.
-MH

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
First detected target wins until A) tracking is lost or B) track reaches its timeout or C) PTZ is called away to another preset by a spotter (spotter calls trump all)

When you think about it, anything else would be madness.

Examples
One with Vehicle only targeting, one with Human only targeting. How would a PTZ decide to track another qualifying target after locking onto the first?

That would need to be pretty heavy advanced AI that has your individual ovveride preferences somehow programmed in. I think we'd be talking more than a couple hundred $

View attachment HOA Entr_ch1_20200927104112_20200927104207.mp4

View attachment HOA Ent_ch1_20201116151428_20201116151504.mp4

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Using tracking PTZs in an area with lots of people or vehicles will be problematic as you can see.

Think more in terms of zones or choke points. It wont differentiate between a little old lady or a terrist but you can define that if either enters a particular choke point or zone, going a specific direction, track that one