Northern Lights

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Northern Lights Time Lapse 4K West View from east of Bellevue WA.

Starting to process time lapses from captures last night. More to follow, but here is the first I've completed at 4K resolution.
Best viewed fullscreen on Youtube

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I had the same experience in Indianapolis. Couldn't really see with the naked eye, but the T180s were able to catch them. I have some stuff to do this morning, but will get the footage pulled and uploaded later.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Aurora Friday Night May 11 2024 Time Lapse 170X

A much more modest aurora display Saturday night (May 11, 2024) as opposed to the spectacular showing Friday night. Unfortunately, activity was waned before darkness descended.

In compensation, we get far more stars, the Milky Way, numerous satellites flying by, and even an appearance of M31's (Andromeda galaxy) smudgy disk near the end.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
What do you use for editing? My software will only do 10x, and even with Youtube playback set to 2x I feel it's still a bit slow (and long).

I am currently re-rendering it because the title pages got cropped off, but this is what I have from the first upload.

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Final Cut Pro. When I used to use iMovie I had to do the timing in two stages to get desired speed.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Why are there only Northern lights? I want to see Southern lights.

It's so unfair.
Reportedly went as South as California in the great Chapman storm of 1859.

I believe more storms are forecast to come this year. I got a few great photos from a location in the UK although some people with proper cameras in the newspapers got some amazing pics:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Surprised to see activity this morning (Thursday May 16, 2024)

After spotting it on camera, I looked outside. Could BARELY see anything with my eyes. The Color 4KT sees so much more than human vision.

Last edited: