Need Advise with IPC-HDW5231R-ZE setup in Blue Iris

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I am setting up my first camera in Blue Iris, an IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.

The instructions pamphlet included said, after a very short Note about initialization via IP 192.168.1.108, to then in Step One "click ConfigTool.exe".
There was no information on where to get ConfigTool.exe in the pamplet. No DVD with it in the box. I assume now from my further reading here that this is an unbranded Dahua camera, so assume that I could get that from Dahua. I have not done this yet. Still looking around here about it's need.

Passing that ConFigTool.exe step , I did the initialization via 192.168.1.108, where during the initial login selected United States and NTSC and proceeding was able to get a video stream via the program.

Then after looking over the settings assuming all pre determined pre populated settings were good, I added the Camera to Blue Iris. I tried looking in the list for IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and under Dahua for IPC-HDW5231R-ZE but could not find that exact model in the list. So decided to go with Generic/ONVIF. Initially after selecting Generic/ONVIF and not getting a video stream I noted the IP was not 192.168.1.108 so changed that and was able to get a video stream on Blue Iris.

Now I'm new to this and much of these setting I'm not knowledgeable about. One thing I've noticed is that if logged into 192.108.1.108 and accessing the camera through what I assume is its internal program via the IP address, that I can control the zoom and it will zoom and auto focus(varifocal). But in Blue Iris, using scroll wheel on mouse, it only appears to zoom but it does not auto focus(varifocal). It really does not seem like BI is controlling the zoom as it should be, that I am only zooming in on the screen as such, as there is not focus happening. Nothing at all happens using the two +/- Magnifying icons. Yes I do have the box checked under PTZ controls. Should I be able to control Zoom/Auto focus within BI, or is that something only done via the 192.168.1.108 program?

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay just for the heck of it I decided to try some of the Dahua options in BI under the PTZ/Control tab and Network IP, to try one of the Dahua options "Dahua New V4" and that seems to allow the magnifying glass icons in Blue Iris to control the varifocal. And on the screen using the scroll wheel it appears that is still only zooming in on the screen not actual zoom/varifocal. But zoom/varifocal is definitely now working via the Magnifying Glass icons with "Dahua New V4" selected.

Last edited:

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Oceanslider, try Googling Dahua Toolbox. It contains all of Dahua's tools.

Let us know if you can't find it and we'll post you a link if you need it.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Config tool is in the Dahua Toolbox, it's a collection of all their tools.

I just think that it's the latest way to get everything that you may need in one solution instead of trying to find the one you may need Oceanslider, as it also allows you to get the latest versions.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Config tool is in the Dahua Toolbox, it's a collection of all their tools.

I just think that it's the latest way to get everything that you may need in one solution instead of trying to find the one you may need Oceanslider, as it also allows you to get the latest versions.
Found this page, where it looks like the ToolBox is a webpage where you can download multiple programs or “Tools”.

But I’m curious if I need it. Is it(ConfigTool.exe) the only way to preform actions such as changing your cameras IP?

Last edited:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In Blue Iris, instead of selecting a camera enter the IP address and password and click on the (Find/inspect) button to the right of the IP address.
It will search and when says 'Done' you should be good to go.
With my
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
BI filled in "/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif" in the path block, enabled Pan Tilt and Zoom and was good to go.
If the camera is initialized you can access it via Internet Explorer by entering its IP address, Login and access its configuration.
There are 2 ways to access the zoom function, The first being to toggle "Show PTZ controls" by right clicking the main screen or the second by toggling "Solo selected cameras" from the icon on the upper right tool bar. With that second option you click on the + or - which shows in an hour glass when you move the mouse around on the screen.
You defiantly need to change the IP address but I will not get into that at this time.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
In Blue Iris, instead of selecting a camera enter the IP address and password and click on the (Find/inspect) button to the right of the IP address.
It will search and when says 'Done' you should be good to go.
With my
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
BI filled in "/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif" in the path block, enabled Pan Tilt and Zoom and was good to go.
If the camera is initialized you can access it via Internet Explorer by entering its IP address, Login and access its configuration.
There are 2 ways to access the zoom function, The first being to toggle "Show PTZ controls" by right clicking the main screen or the second by toggling "Solo selected cameras" from the icon on the upper right tool bar. With that second option you click on the + or - which shows in an hour glass when you move the mouse around on the screen.
You defiantly need to change the IP address but I will not get into that at this time.
This is the way I did it. But Varifocal didn't work within BI. I had to make the changes I mentioned above. Post #2

Sent using Tapatalk

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another option may be to use IE (Internet Explorer) and enter the IP of the cam in the address bar Oceanslider, I'm still getting used to IP systems myself.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Bump. Assuming this is a popular camera...

Anyone with this camera want to share how they got the varifocal working in BI with this camera that might be different than I posted in post #2 above?

Do most use Generic/ONVIF or is there a profile?

Maybe I should have posted this in Blue Iris forum?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bump. Assuming this is a popular camera...

Anyone with this camera want to share how they got the varifocal working in BI with this camera that might be different than I posted in post #2 above?

Do most use Generic/ONVIF or is there a profile?

Maybe I should have posted this in Blue Iris forum?
Study the BI help file that is included with BI.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I just did as mentioned above, entered the IP address, username and password the clicked the fine inspect button.
I don't think anyone is understanding what I feel the issue is. It is in BI.

Everyone keeps referring me back to initialization. I did the setup initially via the IP.

Then in BI I could not see a Profile for this camera so selected BI to identify and it came back as ONVIF.

But then within Blue Iris I could not control the Varifocal, until I selected the profile option I stated above "Dahua New V4" under the PTZ tab in BI . Is this what you did to get the Varifocal to work within BI?

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC, BI does not control the "zoom'"on a vari-focal camera because it is not really a zoom feature; you log into the camera's webGUI, set the focal length and leave it (for the most part)....it's not meant to be zoomed in/out frequently. If that's what you wanted to do then you should have purchased a PTZ. :)

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
IIRC, BI does not control the "zoom'"on a vari-focal camera because it is not really a zoom feature; you log into the camera's webGUI, set the focal length and leave it (for the most part)....it's not meant to be zoomed in/out frequently. If that's what you wanted to do then you should have purchased a PTZ. :)
Well then, I figured a way around it. I can control via BI using my settings I stated. FYI then. Try it

And it's not what I was wanting to do frequently. I just assumed it would work in BI as it did in the camera GUI via the IP. So I tried the "Dahua New V4" setting under the PTZ tab and got it to work via BI

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I can change the lens zoom level within BI on my cams.
From within BI also?, and you for sure see it Autofocus? Or only via the IP GUI?

Try the Dahau New V4 setting under the PTZ tab and let me know if you see a difference.

In BI there is also just zooming in on the "screen" without Autofocus, so not actually using the Varifocal feature.

I just got the camera so assume firmware up to date. What version of BI are you using and what version camera firmware?

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well then, I figured a way around it. I can control via BI using my settings I stated. FYI then. Try it

And it's not what I was wanting to do frequently. I just assumed it would work in BI as it did in the camera GUI via the IP. So I tried the "Dahua New V4" setting under the PTZ tab and got it to work via BI

Sent using Tapatalk
I stand corrected. :brainfart:
Thanks for letting me , and us, know. There was a time when it did not, possibly before "Dahua New V4" .

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
From within BI also?, and you for sure see it Autofocus? Or only via the IP GUI?

Try the Dahau New V4 setting under the PTZ tab and let me know if you see a difference.

In BI there is also just zooming in on the "screen" without Autofocus, so not actually using the Varifocal feature.

I just got the camera so assume firmware up to date. What version of BI are you using and what version camera firmware?

Sent using Tapatalk
Yes, checked it then logging onto the cam itself to check where the varifocal slider is.