Need Advise with IPC-HDW5231R-ZE setup in Blue Iris

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, checked it then logging onto the cam itself to check where the varifocal slider is.
Being able to do it via the Cameras GUI itself is not what I am talking about here, as there is no slider for varifocal in my version of BI. Yes there is a slider in the Camera GUI via its IP, but not BI.

And what are your settings under PTZ? And what is your camera profile settings? What version BI? What IPC-HDW5231R-ZE firmware version?

I am using the magnifying glass icons with the plus and minus signs to control the Varifocal from within BI itself. But only after doing the setting I mentioned above "Dahua New V4". Sorry if I am not being clear in my explainations.

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Being able to do it via the Cameras GUI itself is not what I am talking about here, as there is no slider for varifocal in my version of BI. Yes there is a slider in the Camera GUI via its IP, but not BI.

And what are your settings under PTZ? And what is your camera profile settings? What version BI? What IPC-HDW5231R-ZE firmware version?

I am using the magnifying glass icons with the plus and minus signs to control the Varifocal from within BI itself. But only after doing the setting I mentioned above "Dahua New V4". Sorry if I am not being clear in my explainations.
Okay after updating to most recent camera firmware and also a new BI update a day ago, now I do not need to have Dahua New V4 setting used to control the Varifocal within BI. It works now with ONVIF.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay after updating to most recent camera firmware and also a new BI update a day ago, now I do not need to have Dahua New V4 setting used to control the Varifocal within BI. It works now with ONVIF.
you never need BI to control the varifocal, it should always be disabled so you dont accidentally activate it. The varifocal is not a zoom. It is intended to be set at the time of installation and left alone. This can easily be done with the cameras web interface.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you never need BI to control the varifocal, it should always be disabled so you dont accidentally activate it. The varifocal is not a zoom. It is intended to be set at the time of installation and left alone. This can easily be done with the cameras web interface.
Yep, that's pretty much what I told the OP back in post #15. :idk:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s what I have been advised twice now in this thread. I understand that I will basically adjust it once and leave it. However, since I will be the only one making adjustments I would like to have the ability to if I wanted without having to use the cameras GUI. At least now I know it can be done.

You say “It’s not a zoom” but it operates just like one.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s what I have been advised twice now in this thread. I understand that I will basically adjust it once and leave it. However, since I will be the only one making adjustments I would like to have the ability to if I wanted without having to use the cameras GUI. At least now I know it can be done.
Again, waste of time and no reason for it, except ocd. It takes exactly the same amount of time and effort to adjust from the cameras interface. So the next to you want to adjust it two years from now, you can do it. Make sure you disable ptz in blue iris or you will accidentally trigger the varifocal...
The camera web interface is also much more precise.

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, waste of time and no reason for it, except ocd. It takes exactly the same amount of time and effort to adjust from the cameras interface. So the next to you want to adjust it two years from now, you can do it. Make sure you disable ptz in blue iris or you will accidentally trigger the varifocal...
Roger that

Do you have suggestions on what video settings I should use in the camera GUI, should I use H.264H as the Encode Mode and VBR as the Bit Rate Type?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Roger that

Do you have suggestions on what video settings I should use in the camera GUI, should I use H.264H as the Encode Mode and VBR as the Bit Rate Type?
there are many threads discussing these settings. Its not camera specific.