Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

dreamtech

n3wb
Reaction score
Just a guess, but look for something reflecting the IR into the 5231R from the Hikivision or, alternately, re-orient one of them slightly.
Yeah i turned the Dahua 90 Degrees and then did the same in the software.

End result below attached

Ignore the blacked out parts, was just giving a mate some grief as he loves installing samsung cameras. 3 x the price of a Dahua.

Attachments

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems like this should be obvious, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust the focal length... Can anyone help me out with this? Is it a manual adjustment or via the config - I've looked at both places. Also, one other question - is there anywhere to see what your current focal length is set to?

Thanks!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like this should be obvious, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust the focal length... Can anyone help me out with this? Is it a manual adjustment or via the config - I've looked at both places. Also, one other question - is there anywhere to see what your current focal length is set to?
If you connect to the camera from a computer (using a web browser that supports the plugin), you should be able to go to Camera > Conditions > Zoom and Focus tab and use the slider to change the zoom (focal length). If you hover your mouse over the Zoom slider setting, it will give you a numeric value that ranges between 0 (2.7mm) and 1400 (12mm). I think from knowing that, most folks make an approximation of the current focal length.

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 7.48.55 PM.png

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah shit... I saw that and wondered, but it is grey'd out in my browser. I tried the NACL plugin for chrome which surprisingly didn't work. I also tried IE. Need to find an alternative I guess... Thanks!

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns - working like a charm. Ok, last question from me tonight, has anyone taken the time to figure out how 0-1400 might be correlated to mm, maybe documented it someplace? I'm trying to compare default 2.7mm (close enough to 2.8) vs 3.6.

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I lied -
forum searching got me this: f(F) = (F - Fmin) / (Fmax - Fmin).

Looking at your equasion @tangent I was good until swRange. I'm not following what that is? Software range? 0-1400?

What about currentSetting? 2.7?

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I lied -
forum searching got me this: f(F) = (F - Fmin) / (Fmax - Fmin).

Looking at your equasion @tangent I was good until swRange. I'm not following what that is? Software range? 0-1400?

What about currentSetting? 2.7?
In this case it would be:
equivMM = (12mm-2.7mm)/1400*currentSetting+2.7mm
Set it to zero and you get 2.7mm set it to 1400 and you get 12mm.
algebra really isn't that hard.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Try pale moon and make sure to reinstall the latest plugin again each time any issue in web browsing viewing is encountered

I’ve noticed the plugins vary in size time to time
There has to be a few lines of script modified each time the webplugin is sent out through dahua server

Has NACL been deprecated? And is IE Tab extension here to stay or also to be eliminated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
My only complaint about Pale Moon is the confusion I have about enabling H264 on it on Win10.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY , is this model (DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z) on the short list of obsolescence from Dahua? I was just viewing the most recent international on line catalogue and do not see it there any longer. The closes model seems to be the DH-IPC-HDW2231R-ZS, which seems to have a slightly wider lens range, one less feed and no audio interface, and is limited to 30 fps.

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
tangent said:
n this case it would be:
equivMM = (12mm-2.7mm)/1400*currentSetting+2.7mm
Set it to zero and you get 2.7mm set it to 1400 and you get 12mm.
algebra really isn't that hard.
In case anyone is interested:

(if I've done my maths correct)

x = EquivMM - 2.7 / .00664 (plug in the EquivMM you want, solve for x)

2.7mm = 0
3.6mm = 135
6mm = 500
8mm = 800
10mm = 1100
12mm = 1400

Thanks again for the formula!

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My only complaint about Pale Moon is the confusion I have about enabling H264 on it on Win10.
What is the process to do this? And are you using the x64 or the x86 Version of the browser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY , is this model (DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z) on the short list of obsolescence from Dahua? I was just viewing the most recent international on line catalogue and do not see it there any longer. The closes model seems to be the DH-IPC-HDW2231R-ZS, which seems to have a slightly wider lens range, one less feed and no audio interface, and is limited to 30 fps.
Noooooooooooooo....... lol